Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Gary Thorne

Anyone watching this Texas/A&M game? Can Gary Thorne yell on every play? When did he become the white Gus Johnson?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Gary Thorne

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone watching this Texas/A&M game? Can Gary Thorne yell on every play? When did he become the white Gus Johnson?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's always done that. I thought he was relatively subdued today, actually. You should hear him do hockey.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Listening to him call a hockey game is amazing. I find it very impressive that he can identify and rattle of the names of the players as quickly as the action is taking place, especially with the influx of eastern european players.
I really don't care for him in any other sport, but his ability to make an OT playoff hockey game seem like it could end at any moment is great. The mere rising of his voice can almost convince me that a guy is about to score.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Listening to him call a hockey game is amazing. I find it very impressive that he can identify and rattle of the names of the players as quickly as the action is taking place, especially with the influx of eastern european players.
I really don't care for him in any other sport, but his ability to make an OT playoff hockey game seem like it could end at any moment is great. The mere rising of his voice can almost convince me that a guy is about to score.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? Of the hockey announcers I've heard, Thorne is the least adept at pronounciation - he still calls Oleg Tverdovsky Oleg Tverdorsky - and often miscalls the action, miscalls the players, tells stories during key moments, and so on.

Not only that, his '...for the CUP!' calls during the Devils-Stars 2000 series in OT were terrible - anyone watching knows it's for the Cup. And let's not forget his memorable Game 7 call in Ottawa in 2003 - 'Friesen scores! No! NO THE GOAL LIGHT IS NOT ON!' - one of the top 10 playoff goals of the 21st century completely miscalled.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM

I agree with you. When Gary Thorne started out doing the Mets on the radio, he was GREAT. Animated as appropriate, subdued as appropriate. I don't know what pills he ate, but he has become way overblown and has shown unfamiliarity with both the teams he's covering and the rules of the games (particularly hockey) that he should know well. I wish I could recall specific examples. I had never heard him do football until today, and the guy was screaming on every play like, well, Gus Johnson. Totally forced and unnecessary.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH!