Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Do you like this play given the stack sizes?

Hand #9267918-136 at Thu9pmA-002 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 27/Oct/05 23:03:13

foshio is at seat 0 with 7725.
DoubleLucky is at seat 1 with 9445.
Sizzstudz is at seat 2 with 8155.
creekhouse is at seat 3 with 10880.
jpoke1323 is at seat 4 with 5205.
FarbrousOxide is at seat 6 with 5025.
kayk is at seat 7 with 3820.
mikeivey is at seat 8 with 10260.
The button is at seat 7.

mikeivey posts the small blind of 100.
foshio posts the big blind of 200.

foshio: -- --
DoubleLucky: -- --
Sizzstudz: -- --
creekhouse: -- --
jpoke1323: -- --
FarbrousOxide: -- --
kayk: -- --
mikeivey: Ac Kh

Pre-flop:

DoubleLucky folds. Sizzstudz calls. creekhouse
raises to 750. jpoke1323 folds. FarbrousOxide
folds. kayk folds. mikeivey re-raises to 2100.
foshio folds. Sizzstudz folds. creekhouse calls.

Flop (board: 3h 7c 3c):

mikeivey bets 1800.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Do you like this play given the stack sizes?

Not sure really, I dont like reraising out of position with AK up against the other big stack. Stil though you can lead the flop and he is more likely to fold since you two are both deeper stacked. Problem is if you raise more its hard to play with such a big pot if you miss and you might end up bluffing your chips to him. I like a call here.

Also nice finish in the 150k. I finsihed in the last two tables and you played well.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:19 PM

I can't say I'm a big fan of the weak lead on the flop. I think I'd make a real bet or check the flop.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't say I'm a big fan of the weak lead on the flop. I think I'd make a real bet or check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a weakish lead as a big pair doesn't bet large in mike's shoes , and if you're trying to rep a big pair its better than a bigger bet on this flop.

It also gives you the option to come over top if he makes a smallish raise, which a lot of medium PP's will do.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-27-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever think about chk/pushing this flop? The check initially says, "shoot, I missed the flop. You gotta pair?" The push says, "HAHAHA! Fooled you, I got an over pair. How high is your pair?" You'll actually fold a lot of better hands this way. Played any other way, you run into problems. If you bet out and he has a pair, he'll think it wrong to just fold on this flop. If you bet out and he has a hand like AT, he probably tosses, but might bluff, you'll not know the difference. If you just check here, he likely bets with whatever he has, but a check/push makes him stratch his head. I have trouble letting go here, so I try this play.

CSC
Old 10-27-2005, 11:39 PM

i like the play. he may have a middle pair and decide to make a stand. In which case you have to release. also the no ante structure favors the other players recommendations over the way you played it. if he calls, it probably indicates a pp in a situation he doesn't want to go all in.
you have to decide whether to bluff or play easy if you don't get lucky and pair up.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 AM

Preflop could go either way, and it depends somewhat on a read which we don't so..

given that you reraised, I do not like the weak lead. Once he calls preflop , he's gotta have a pair or a big ace most of the time. He may get reverse psychologied into thinking you have a big pair but most guys most of the time are calling with any pocket pair because they'll put you exactly where you are and/or because you priced them in. Then you have a pot that's bigger than your stack and 80% of the time still no pair on the turn and ( the key ) you're out of position.

This is where it can be helpful to have checked big hands before.

I check, planning to fold to a 3000+ bet, but I can only do this if he's seen me checkraise once or twice so that i can be fairly confident a pot bet means I'm beat. If he bets strong, he's probably not folding to a checkraise.

If he bets 1500-2000, do whatever he thinks you'd do with AA. Depending, I may get fancy and check raise allin, but only if I think he can lay down a middle pair and that most of the time his small bet is a question rather than a trap. Or if he's seen me checkcall with big hands I may check call the flop, push the turn (esp. a club turn), or check-fold the turn unimproved, or if he checks behind, bet the river.

A lot of this is read dependent though.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I like a weakish lead as a big pair doesn't bet large in mike's shoes , and if you're trying to rep a big pair its better than a bigger bet on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble is that I do bet out 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot with an overpair or check-raise all-in and do the same thing with my continuation bets. So it's inconsistent for me to bet light. I really feel like you're better off making 1/2 to 3/4 pot continuation bets because villains aren't sure if you're pot committed and are less likely to think that your weak bet means you will fold when they raise.

When you bet light you also set the pot size up so that villain is probably pot committed if they raise back at you (at least in this situation). So it's tough to get them to lay down if you reraise.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever think about chk/pushing this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that line against the right guy and the right sized continuation bet on his hand. I'd be hesitant to do it here, because villain called a raise and a reraise preflop and very likely has a middle pair and is going to feel like you're on overcards and/or flush draw enough to justify calling given the pot odds if he bets out very big.