Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Interesting Hand #1

****** This is just an intro, feel free to move on to the hand *********

Ok, I haven't posted a hand in a long, long while. I was running really well, not much going on, moved up to 400NL, hit a vicious downswing (lotta set over set, flush over flush, etc) and moved back down to 100 to get that confidence rolling. So I'll be posting various hands, as I feel besides some tilt at 5/10 limit (I [censored] hate limit) I was playing pretty well while this downswing has pwned me.

*** End intro ***

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($293.61)
CO ($115.40)
Button ($121.25)
SB ($654.74)
BB ($100)
UTG ($58.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $9.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, SB calls $15.

Flop: ($52) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, SB calls $40.

Turn: ($132) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($132) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $125</font>, Hero?

Villain in this hand is a tricky LAG. He has been minraising me in every possible position PF, and has done it numerous times. I'm sure he could have two random big cards, SC, PP, etc. He also doesn't always follow through on the flop, he's really not that agressive postflop, just willing to bluff. I think I've repopped him just once or maybe twice prior. PF I made it $25 accidently, I was used to raising to $4 and him making it $7, as it was I would have made it $35 normally.

So... river? Turn check?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Interesting Hand #1

I think a stab at the pot on the turn would have been a good idea. Villain may have construed your flop bet as a standard continuation bet, and checking the turn may have indicated missed high hole cards/no flush.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:12 PM

I'd usually bet the turn. As it stands, I call the river unless you have a read on his bet sizes (some people bet different but predictible amounts depending on their hand at the end). There are plenty of hands that call the flop which you're still beating.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:23 PM

Dont like the check/call he makes on the flop and then checking when the third club comes, he either made his flush or he has AAc, because if he dont have AKc or AAc he cant give you a cheap look at the turn if you are on a flushdraw. I think he raise with with TT, JJ, KK pair on the flop to see where he is.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont like the check/call he makes on the flop and then checking when the third club comes, he either made his flush or he has AAc,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is another argument for a turn bet
Old 10-19-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont like the check/call he makes on the flop and then checking when the third club comes, he either made his flush or he has AAc, because if he dont have AKc or AAc he cant give you a cheap look at the turn if you are on a flushdraw. I think he raise with with TT, JJ, KK pair on the flop to see where he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this may or may not be true. Again this guy is tricky, meaning he is probably full of FPS. He may or may not have a club at all, his call on the flop could be a set, two pair, PP, flush draw, straight draw, whatever.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 PM

If he would call on the flop with air (such as two overs, maybe like AcKh), then I really like the line because it induces a bluff and keeps the pot from getting out of control.

If he is more likely to have a pocket pair or some type of draw, then I like a turn bet which should:
a) get value
b) keep him from potting the river into you
Old 10-20-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
****** This is just an intro, feel free to move on to the hand *********

Ok, I haven't posted a hand in a long, long while. I was running really well, not much going on, moved up to 400NL, hit a vicious downswing (lotta set over set, flush over flush, etc) and moved back down to 100 to get that confidence rolling. So I'll be posting various hands, as I feel besides some tilt at 5/10 limit (I [censored] hate limit) I was playing pretty well while this downswing has pwned me.

*** End intro ***

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($293.61)
CO ($115.40)
Button ($121.25)
SB ($654.74)
BB ($100)
UTG ($58.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $9.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, SB calls $15.

Flop: ($52) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, SB calls $40.

Turn: ($132) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($132) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $125</font>, Hero?

Villain in this hand is a tricky LAG. He has been minraising me in every possible position PF, and has done it numerous times. I'm sure he could have two random big cards, SC, PP, etc. He also doesn't always follow through on the flop, he's really not that agressive postflop, just willing to bluff. I think I've repopped him just once or maybe twice prior. PF I made it $25 accidently, I was used to raising to $4 and him making it $7, as it was I would have made it $35 normally.

So... river? Turn check?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your line is fine and I fold the river. A PSB from an OOP Villain on the river in a large pot usually signifies strength, and, without a read that Villain is capable of a bluff here, I usually regret making these types of calls.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:20 AM

I'm not sure about the turn... a checkraise from Villain would make me very sad here, and if you bet this again you probably lose something like 77 or 88. On the other hand, if Villain is a pretty tricky, you might induce him to make a big bluff on the river, which is exactly what you don't want. If you show strength you make this easier to play on the river. I call here given your read, but I'm really not happy about it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:22 AM

I think checking the flop is a good starting point.