Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 AM

Default 88 - set on the flop - play for the whole stack

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) converter

Just wan't some oppinions on this hand, guess it's not very hard to play at all though.

Flop; bad raise, small raise?

Turn; Too big of a bet?

River; Perfectly fine to push, or?

BB is 36, 8, 0,75 ... I don't know what to put him on, he just calls all the way, it crossed my mind that he was on a draw, but hey, where's the draw?

Button ($50)
SB ($160.75)
BB ($48.60)
UTG ($40.05)
MP1 ($64.55)
Hero ($49.25)
CO ($85)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button folds, BB calls $7, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($19.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.

River: ($59.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $21.75 (All-In), BB calls $21.10 (All-In).

Final Pot: $102.10
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: 88 - set on the flop - play for the whole stack

In late position I will raise with 8s more often than not as I can often take down a pot with a continuation bet even if I miss my set and even if there are overs. But that's a personal preference. Many people play 8s for set value even with position and that's fine too.

After the flop, MP1 overbet the pot but your raise is still weak. I pop that up to $10 there at least, maybe more. Yes it's a fairly uncoordinated board but you could be up against a straight draw so make it expensive.

Raising more on the flop makes a turn push mandatory but even without that, I probably overbet the turn and push since you're pretty much committed here anyway. What river card comes that causes you to fold your last $20 after you've put in $30 already?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In late position I will raise with 8s more often than not as I can often take down a pot with a continuation bet even if I miss my set and even if there are overs. But that's a personal preference. Many people play 8s for set value even with position and that's fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same. Since you'll only flop a set or better about 12% of the time, it's important to try to get some value out of the hand when you miss.

BB probably has two pair (or an overplayed AJ). I can't imagine that he'd call your turn bet with a straight draw. If he did, he's bad and he'll give the money back really soon.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:24 AM

Looks fine other than the flop. I'd probably actually smoothcall this flop.

Ryan
Old 08-08-2005, 08:29 AM

Looks great to me.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:51 AM

This play is fine from you and if he shows something like Q9
I'd type in LOL and buy back in! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 AM

You know what, I just realized, I have no idea wtf BB has by the time showdown comes. The only thing comes to mind is some really weirdly played flopped two-pair.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Seems like I weren't the only one having problems putting this guy on a hand. After my pot bet on the turn I just couldnt put him on a draw. In general people seems to think I played the hand okey at least.

[ QUOTE ]
This play is fine from you and if he shows something like Q9
I'd type in LOL and buy back in! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty close, he showed me 79o and actually told me he picked up a double belly buster on the turn and the play wasn't all that bad. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 AM

If you raised more on the flop and/or pushed the turn you would have priced him out of those calls. Or he would have made calls that were -EV.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raised more on the flop and/or pushed the turn you would have priced him out of those calls. Or he would have made calls that were -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop raise was okay, although making it 9 probably would have been better. BB was making calls that were -EV -- he called a 3-bet cold with a gutshot, then called a pot-size with a double gutshot with only one card to come.