Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Stuck

[ QUOTE ]
in NL, you get a much better acceptance of 97s being "the better hand" against aces on a 568 flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why the fish get broken so quickly in NL.

They don't differentiate between flops of 568 and 966.

I know that you know what you're doing, but players need good post flop skills and solid reads to play small connectors well in NL.

This is just a disclaimer for the people who don't know who you are - as in don't try this at home until you really KNOW what you're doing.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:52 PM

It hurts to be stuck so much, but I have a feeling this will improve your game.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the honesty of the post. I'm not qualified to comment at those limits but when I read your posts here you seem to have a tendency to get a lot of money in the pot with mediocre hands. You could always try being a bit more ABC for a while - should throw everyone off!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which means I can hang out and get drunk with Nate more which is a very, very good thing, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTverylongtime!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:20 PM

I'd selfishly love to see you play some tripple draw. There are some good math posts that occur in other poker on the game, and I'd certainly enjoy your input. On the plus side, it is a pretty straight forward game from a technical standpoint, and it offers some of the cleaner game theory scenarios in poker. On the down side, there are often no games going, but on the plus side there are often some very juicy looking games (many above my current bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ).
Old 06-29-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the honesty of the post. I'm not qualified to comment at those limits but when I read your posts here you seem to have a tendency to get a lot of money in the pot with mediocre hands. You could always try being a bit more ABC for a while - should throw everyone off!

[/ QUOTE ]

ABC is the worst thing you can do at these limits.

If you want a winrate below 0, then play ABC. This is why nobody does that there.

You need to understand that the hand values change depending on the game, opponent, your image, etc.

What looks like a mediocre hand in one situation can be a monster in another.

Example:

30/60 Live
Both EP players are locals who know everyone in the poker room.

QQ in MP.

UTG Raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 Reraises, You cap, folded back to original raisers who both call.

Flop AJ3.

UTG bets, UTG+2 calls

Your action?

Hand 2 (same game)

QQ on the Button

folded to you, you raise, SB folds, BB calls

Flop AJ3,

BB checks

Your action?

These examples are just to illustrate the point. If you want to extend it, use the same hands, but different games.

What do you do with these in the Party 2/4, 5/10sh, 20/40 full?

You see how the hands can be marginal or not depending on the situation?

This is just the action situation. When you factor in the other things I listed above, things can look very different.

Just in case this came out the wrong way, I want to make clear that I am not 'coming down' on you. I just wanted to point out that many of the situations that you may be finding marginal may not, in fact, be so.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ABC is the worst thing you can do at these limits.
If you want a winrate below 0, then play ABC. This is why nobody does that there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paluka would say your wrong
Old 06-29-2005, 07:38 PM

Taking a few weeks off since you are moving seems like a great idea. Read few books during that time.

I like playing different games at different sites:
PLO
Limit and no limit hold em
Omaha hi lo
I also fool around with stud, tiple draw and pinnaple

And all formats:
Cash
Tourn
SitNGos
MTT

This keeps it fun and if I'm running bad I'll switch games/formats for a while.

You may do this already, but studying hand histories during a break may let you see things you don't see in real time. Seeing all the show downs of your opps can give you insight into their play, you are not going to get multi-tabling.

Good luck
Thanks for all your good posts
Old 06-29-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I admitted that in the trip report thread. You're not putting a flag anywhere by bringing this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't cut off an old man from his petty amusements.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this all our two best thread hijackers can do here?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:50 PM

How many tables are you playing? Have you considered playing fewer tables and working on hand reading and play balancing?

Also, some of the problems you describe with pounding too much are probably just running bad. Opponents are more tenacious bettors are tougher to play against:

6-handed game, UTG open raises JJ and I call in the BB w/ KTs.

Flop(4.5 SB) comes
AQ5 w/ a backdoor flush draw.

Against an opponent who checks hands like JJ on the turn, I'm going to call liberally because I get free cards when he tries to get to showdown with mediocre hands. I can also value bet more on the river when I hit a King and he checks behind.

Against an opponent who is going to continue to pound marginal hands and semi-bluffs like KJ on the turn, I am going to fold the flop because I'm not going to get as many free cards and I'm going to get charged more when catch a King and I am up against an Ace--I can't be sure he isn't betting an underpair.

I think pounding is a good basic style even in tough games(though I only play up to 30/60). I agree that you can increase your EV by mixing up your play, but you probably don't need a stylistic overhaul.