Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Calling preflop raises

[ QUOTE ]
How do I decide whether to call a raise that's come behind me after I've already called the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're usually getting great odds in this case, so you want to call most of the time, unless you have reason to believe someone will re-raise. If there are a lot of people calling the raise (or likely to call the raise), you particularly want to play hands that can turn into monster hands on the flop: pocket pairs and suited cards. Connectors are pretty good, too.

You want to avoid hands that you think are likely to be dominated. This depends greatly on what you think the raisier may have based on his raising standards, and if anyone cold-called, what their standards for cold-calling are.

If the raiser has knocked a lot of people out, circumstances are a bit different because the pot (and the implied odds) are not nearly as big. On the other hand, you have less competition. Being suited is not less important, but its more important to have high cards so that if you flop a pair you're fairly confident that you're ahead.