Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welco

OK.

I don't want to start a flamewar or anything here (honest!), but I have to ask.

Tipping a waitress is often argued as correct "to insure promptness" or "to insure prompt service" or whatever.

But a dealer??

What's he going to do - give you better cards if you tip him? Or is it going to be like some kind of socially-acceptable extortion where he is more likely to "accidentally" scoop your hand into the muck if you're a bad/non-tipper (sort of like how some people say you should tip waiters/waitresses "or else they'll piss in your food" or something along those lines).

The only reasons I can see why people tip dealers are therefore a) not to look cheap in front of the other players (social pressure); and/or b) empathy or pity (arising out of a concern because they realize that dealers rely heavily on tips, in which case that makes for a very interesting contrast - the cold-hearted poker player who'd bust his own grandmother if she got into a pot with him, yet feels compelled to toss a piece of each pot he wins to someone who agreed to work for X an hour on his own volition with the understanding that tips may or may not come).

Any thoughts on this?