Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Default stars 10r, the badbeat, the suckout and the debateable call

i won the 25k guaranteed 10r on stars last night. i thought i'd post the 3 most interesting hands. i'm looking for opinions on hands 1 and 3 thanks.

hand 1
i'm the chipleader at my table with around 110k (av is around 50k). the table is playing tight and we're 2 or 3 tables away from the money.

blinds are 1000/2000 with 100 ante

i raise to 6000 utg with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folds to cutoff (with 50k)who reraises to 14000 (at this point i would say his hand range is somewhere between A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), i call 8000.

flop
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

i check, he bets 18000, i raise to 36000, he calls his last 17000 all in

turn
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

river
6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

his hand A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

when he made a trappy reraise preflop, with his stack and at this stage of the tournament, i felt he could only have aces. being offered 3/1 on my preflop call added to the fact that he had another 36k behind i felt i could call the 8k and break him if a 7 fell and check fold almost any other flop. is this thinking flawed?

hand2
i had been average or short chipped since the badbeat but i managed to limp to the final table and was second shortest stack with 360k. in my experience most final tables tend to start out quite tight with everyone playing to make a couple of pay increases before they make their move.

blinds 20000/40000 with a 2000 ante

3 folds to me with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i raise to 357000 all in, button calls 357000 and the blinds fold.

his hand A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

flop
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

turn
2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

river
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

i runner runner a flush. FABULOUS!

hand 3
it was about an orbit after the suckout that this hand came up. i was on the button with 720k.
to give you some background the small blind seemed quite a strong player and with 18 left in the tournament i had his table open to monitor the other stack sizes and watch how everyone was playing. i had noticed that he was fond of making all in reraises from the small blind when he thought that the button or lp raiser was stealing (he had made the play twice in the ten minutes i was watching).

blinds 20000/40000 with a 2000 ante

folded to me on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and i raise to 120000, small blind reraises to 634000 all in, i insta call.

thoughts?