Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Very standard situation

Ok, so this is a situation I assume people get into frequently when playing from position and using a flop raise to get a free card on a draw that never comes. I will make up a hypothetical hand, and maybe I can get some good advice on it.

Me ($200): On Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain ($250): In middle position

Villain lips (along with one other limper), I raise to 12 (live 1/2 cash game, so that is standard), and only Villain calls

Flop comes
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets 15, I raise to 45, Villain calls

Turn:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I check (getting my free card)

River:
10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, me ????

Too many times I am tempted to bluff here and get called with a jack. Should I just check here and given up the hand (lets say there is no particular read on Villian in these situations, other than he is loose pre-flop).

Maybe I should be betting the turn hard? What if my hand is a weaker draw (say I only had a straight draw with 1 overcard which may not be a clean out do to someone else's possible straight/2 pair)?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Very standard situation

Yes easy check. Do this sometimes with a J. People will call any bet lesser than potsize with almost any pair here.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:20 AM

if he pushed the turn as well and got a check call are you still checking the river?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 AM

check behind, imo your hand will be good here some % of the time too.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:24 AM

Your turn check basically announces that your hand is either AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or AQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Any river bet here will be called (or raised) by a better hand than yours, and feld by no-pair draws, which you are already ahead of.

So, this is a clear check.

Additionally, by checking you get to see his hand, which could bring you valuable information about the villain to be used in later hands.