Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Weak top pair, ugly river

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're ever going to bluff raise the river in limit hold'em, this is the river and player to do it with, isn't it? A horrible river card and a thinking player who can make a laydown? Just something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's he calling with on two streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see him having a hand like A7o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-30-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're ever going to bluff raise the river in limit hold'em, this is the river and player to do it with, isn't it? A horrible river card and a thinking player who can make a laydown? Just something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows? 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He open limped on the button.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:08 AM

i think this is a fold you can feel confident in. don't think you are good 1-8
Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 AM

Yep fold now, take his $$ later.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:44 AM

I think you can fold and sleep well. You've been nothing but aggressive this hand which implies that from your opponent's perspective, you have a strong enough hand to have a reasonable probability of calling a river raise. It doesn't sound like you've both been at the same table long enough for him to have enough of a read on you to attempt such a fancy move.

Later on, you might want to mix it up by calling this type of hand down every now and then so someone doesn't actually try a bluff of this sort against you.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:01 AM

It looks like a near certainty that you are up against trip sevens. I could fold without a second though.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:18 AM

I called quite a few of these raises at 2/4, and the way I remember it, I eventually stopped being particularly surprised when I was shown A3o or pocket 2's.

But that was 2/4. And I haven't seen raises on scare cards as regularly as I used to. Possibly it's a Party trend that's fading, or maybe 3/6 and 5/10 players are less inclined to bluff-raise the river on scare cards (or to hang around with a marginal holding in the first place to have the bluff-raise available to them).

In any case, I suspect folding is best here, though I'll admit that I would still pay off sometimes, out of old habit.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:06 PM

I fold.

I never sleep well at night.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:50 PM

This is a serious and interesting situation for me. For many thousands of hands I've been folding in this spot and, of course, sleeping well. But I fold a lot. Other smart posters have told me I need to call more often, and my won $ @ SD stat is a bit too high, indicating that it's true: I should stop folding so much. Maybe I'm folding too many winners.

So I'm trying to cure that, and then I encountered this hand. I forced myself to call against my better judgment, and I won the hand. He had J-high for a total bluff. Unfortunately, this did not help my predicament. (Well, it helped establish a great read on the guy, who ended up being an awful donk and was MP in that controversial AK river raise hand I posted).

Two possibilities still exist: 1) It was still a bad call, and I got lucky to run into the 1 in 20 times this river raise is a bluff; it could still be an EV loss. 2) Of all the times I've folded here, how many winners like this have I really folded? Maybe the great sleep I have been getting has been at the expense of many medium-sized pots. In other words, maybe Evan is right, etc.

I'm just as confused as ever now. Maybe I can rationalize by telling me this guy is bluffing just about 1/8 times, so calling vs. folding is close to neutral EV, making my decision not as important as I think it is. Maybe.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see him having a hand like A7o.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my point. He's far more likely to have called with a hand that just rivered us than he is to have a total bluff.