Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Constant Bustouts on the bubble...

For a change of pace, and fun I have been playing in Stars 3+0 MTTs recently. In the past 2 days I have finished 141 w/ 135 being the cutoff, 120 w/ 99 being the cutoff, and 189 w/ 180 being the cutoff. Considering the fields at these tournies they take a hell of a long time, and it is obviously frustrating. Especially when I can make easy money at the small stakes limit tables.

I have been meaning to read HoH1 and 2, but haven't had a chance yet. So I am sure there are plenty of things I need to improve on in my tourney game. Basically since everyone is so loose in those things, early on I play pretty tight, and just do my best to accumulate chips. Steal at oppurtune times, and just try to play solid straight up poker.

But anyways my biggest question is what to do late in the tourney shortstacked close to the bubble. I remember all 3 but these 2 are the most important:

For the 120th place I had about 2,500 w/ 300/600 blinds, 50 ante. I get A/K suited folded to me in middle position and move all in.

The other was the 189th place one, where I had about 3,000 w/ 300/600 blinds, 50 ante. It's folded to me in the small blind and I have 7/6s. The BB has 6,000 and I just thought it was an easy steal, and if not I have 2 live cards to try and double up with. The way this kid played I was shocked he called this close to the bubble.

Anyways, is it brain dead to make these moves even if I am going more for a final table finish then a buy in cash finish. Any other general suggestions for low buy in tournies?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Constant Bustouts on the bubble...

your bustout hands are played fine... the question you should be asking yourself is why you were shortstacked close to the bubble to begin with?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your bustout hands are played fine... the question you should be asking yourself is why you were shortstacked close to the bubble to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2005, 07:59 PM

That is what I figured. Will reading HoH1 and 2 pretty much answer any tourney queries? or are there any specific overarching tips for the lower money buy-in tournies?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:02 PM

HoH1 is great.

HoH2 is a mix of great and terrible. Read his chapter on M, Q, etc. very well and take it to heart. Then read his examples, focus on the T6o hand (you'll know it when you see it), and come up with two reasons why it is very wrong.

When you're done with that and a half dozen other similar hands you will be a better player for it.