Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 05:50 PM

Default You have aces in the sb and only player in is UTG

hey all, I got 2 aces A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the sb in a 200 NL game, blinds 1/2.

Only the UTG player is in and he limped, its folded around to me and I make it 8 dollars to go. Is this a good sized raise or should I have made it more? BTW, UTG is a kind of crazy, in a previous pot, he had raised, reraised 150 dollars out of his 200 dollar stack and folded to a guys all in on the river for about 40 more dollars. Only read I have on him thus far.

Flop comes

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

pot is 18 dolllars

I bet 20 into this pot, because there is a 2 flush on the board and didn't want UTG to draw, if he has a draw, for cheap. Mistake, or should I have checked here?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: You have aces in the sb and only player in is UTG

Without the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] no way you should check this. If this guy is a maniac he will fire out a huge bet on the turn with any two cards if you show weakness. If he calls I bet 1/2 pot on the turn and check behind on the river.

However, the hand would get very interesting if he raised your flop bet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Well, in the actual hand, I fired 20 and he called. The turn was the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. And I fired a super weak sauce bet of 15 dollars out, in which he raised to 52.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 PM

What should I have done on the turn, we both have the exact same size stack of 200.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] no way you should check this. If this guy is a maniac he will fire out a huge bet on the turn with any two cards if you show weakness. If he calls I bet 1/2 pot on the turn and check behind on the river.

However, the hand would get very interesting if he raised your flop bet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh and I'm the sb, so he has position on me.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM

I actually don't mind a check-call on the flop and lead turn here, keeps the pot very nicely under control

But betting the flop is ok too I guess
Old 10-20-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, didn't see that in OP. I still like leading the beating the flop and turn. River is going to be board dependent. A non A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn or river may scare villain more than you.

Did villain should two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or AJ?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, didn't see that in OP. I still like leading the beating the flop and turn. River is going to be board dependent. A non A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn or river may scare villain more than you.

Did villain should two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

what about his turn raise from 15 to 52, do i call here or just go for the gusto right now? I'm tired of reraising to much and people just folding, how do i maximize my win here?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't mind a check-call on the flop and lead turn here, keeps the pot very nicely under control

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the check/call vs a LAG or other thinking player, but do you like to show any weakness (especially when you are weak) against a maniac? (Not sarcasm, but an honest question.)
Old 10-20-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the check/call vs a LAG or other thinking player, but do you like to show any weakness (especially when you are weak) against a maniac? (Not sarcasm, but an honest question.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to show weakness, but I often do check when I have very little against anyone.