Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Weak-tight or well-done? TPTK, NL200

No specific reads, although villain seems more solid/TAG than most.

Seat 2$78.30 in chips)
Seat 3$114.60 in chips)
Seat 4$279 in chips)
Seat 5: Villain (UTG+1) ($190.20 in chips)
Seat 6$104 in chips)
Seat 7$60 in chips)
Seat 8$155.35 in chips)
Seat 9:Hero (CO, AKo) ($214.50 in chips)
Seat 10$111.90 in chips)

PRE-FLOP
folds, Villain calls $2, folds, Hero bets $9, folds, Villain calls $7.

FLOP [board cards K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] Pot ~ $20
Villain checks, Hero bets $13, Villain bets $36, Hero calls $23.

TURN [board cards K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] Pot ~ $90
Villain bets $75, Hero folds.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Weak-tight or well-done? TPTK, NL200

I would fold on the flop
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you need to continue with AK then? Surely you can't be folding this hand everytime you get a little opposition.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you need to continue with AK then? Surely you can't be folding this hand everytime you get a little opposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OP's read this is most likely a flopped middle or bottom set. From a more donk'ish player and the mini-raise does kind of smell of a donk, this could be AK or KQ too.

Without a solid read on the villian this is a reasonable fold. There will be better places to get your money. TPTK is not the most profitable of hands the higher you go up in limits.

Edit: Strike the mini raise part, it was a bit more than a mini.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:35 PM

You have no reads and no previous experince with villain.. If he seems Solid TAG a set is his most likely holding.

If I fold the flop I will ofcourse take a note and keep my eye on him, but the first checkraise is for free. Going to the felt with AK is all about reads, here you have none.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OP's read this is most likely a flopped middle or bottom set. From a more donk'ish player and the mini-raise does kind of smell of a donk, this could be AK or KQ too.

Without a solid read on the villian this is a reasonable fold. There will be better places to get your money. TPTK is not the most profitable of hands the higher you go up in limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villian is truely a TAG player, would he call the pre-flop raise against one opponent with 88 or 33? I think you win or split this pot more often then you lose to a set. If you are putting someone on a set with no read everytime they get aggresive, you are leaving money on the table IMO.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villian is truely a TAG player, would he call the pre-flop raise against one opponent with 88 or 33? I think you win or split this pot more often then you lose to a set. If you are putting someone on a set with no read everytime they get aggresive, you are leaving money on the table IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

IME it is just the other way around. A TAG player is not limping AK from EP without doing it as a LRR. But they will limp 88 or 33 from EP and not RR, but cold call for set value. Classic set miner line.

I agree that there is a posibility for a split pot or TPTK vs. TPGK in this spot or even air. But without a good read on the villian I am rarely willing to go to the felt with TPTK on a uncordinated board like that, that is where this is going with that turn lead from the villian.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 PM

I'd call and check-call the river. Unless I can put him on a set or p aces or k's. Most likely has ak, kq/kj. Calling him might slow him down too.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 PM

I would expect to see KQ or KJ pretty rarely.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]