Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Nut flush draw w/ mid pair....

[ QUOTE ]

just call or raise more on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer to raise more, and I have no problems w/ being all in w/ these stacks and this opponent.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks for all the input...

I've been trying to see where I've been going wrong..and it's big scary calls like this.

During the hand, I felt like it was probably right to call, but also seemed pretty risky because:

(a) The player knows I'm tight, and generally respects it
(b) I reraised his pot-size flop bet

Overall, I probably should have called here, just based on the LAG characteristics of the villain.

Another thought though:

What if this player was well known as a tight-player?
Is this still something I should be calling?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Just because a player is tight, doesn't mean that he is always betting with a set.

I was just in this situation, except my flush draw wasn't the nuts, and villain's AA redrew to the nut flush on me. Even without the NUT flush draw, this is still a correct call right?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:59 PM

Why are you min-raising him on the flop? You should have juiced that way up. You have mid pair, probably an over card plus the nut flush draw. You should be willing to gamble here. You should have either raised to 20 or shoved on him and put him to the test. As far as calling his all-in, thats a tough one. He might have you beat. He limps his hand. That says that his hand isn't very strong since a LAG will likely raise any mediocre hand. AQ and KQ are out of the question. QJ and Q10 are very likely hands but even they seem to be raisable since he is a lag afterall. But those 2 are, along with Q9, the hands that he is likely to have that has you beat. The worst hand would be pocket 3s. NOW... hands that he would have that he would shove with are completely different. He might even be shoving you with J9 here on a open ended straight draw (or J9s for an open ended straight flush draw). 2:1 is a nice number. I'd gamble. But hey thats just me. A lay down isn't too bad either. However I'd say call.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you min-raising him on the flop? You should have juiced that way up. You have mid pair, probably an over card plus the nut flush draw. You should be willing to gamble here. You should have either raised to 20 or shoved on him and put him to the test. As far as calling his all-in, thats a tough one. He might have you beat. He limps his hand. That says that his hand isn't very strong since a LAG will likely raise any mediocre hand. AQ and KQ are out of the question. QJ and Q10 are very likely hands but even they seem to be raisable since he is a lag afterall. But those 2 are, along with Q9, the hands that he is likely to have that has you beat. The worst hand would be pocket 3s. NOW... hands that he would have that he would shove with are completely different. He might even be shoving you with J9 here on a open ended straight draw (or J9s for an open ended straight flush draw). 2:1 is a nice number. I'd gamble. But hey thats just me. A lay down isn't too bad either. However I'd say call.

[/ QUOTE ]

the call is not tough at all. we have enough equity over villain's hand range here. a laydown is awful.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:09 PM

just to be a gnit. A REdraw is when you have a made hand with a draw to a bigger made hand. For example, you have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on a board of J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You have a straight with a redraw to the 9-high flush.

What was referred to as a redraw is a backdoor draw.

Btw this is an easy call, IMO.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you min-raising him on the flop? You should have juiced that way up.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed. Min-raise here is gross. Make a real raise. This is not a bad spot to get your money in.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 PM

I personally would have instant called it. And now that I think about it that would have been an easy call.