Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 11:21 PM

Default a hand from the PS 500k

Don't have the hand history:

I'm in the big blind with JJ. blinds are 100/200. I have a pretty decent stack of about 11k. a guy with about a 10k stack raises to 600 from MP, and the guy behind him, who leaves himself 4,000 calls. MP is playing pretty tight, trying to protect his chips, seems to be playing mostly ABC poker. no real good idea about the other guy. so I raise it up to 2,000 (I think this may have been my first mistake, I'm out of position, but I have a strong hand and want to try to either pick up the pot right there or get it heads-up. actually, I guess it was kind of a Harrington sqeeze play: I figured the big chip stack wouldn't want to ge involved with me, and since the other guy just called I figured he couldn't be that strong, so I figured there was a good chance I'd take it down pre-flop)

So the big stack folds,the other guy calls. there is 4700 in the pot an 2 players. the board comes 239 rainbow. so what do I do?

I figure I can't check here, He could have AK, AQ, KQ and I don't want to give him a free card. however, any bet I make that's decent (like half the pot, about 2300) committs me to calling his all-in. so then I figure maybe just pushing myself is the right play. But pushing seems to only get called by hands that have me beat unless he has TT, and he may lay that down (I figured he'd lay down A9 or something like that, but I don't think he had that) So in that situation, it seems like I'm risking the most and winning the least. so checking seems wrong, betting seems wrong, pushing seems wrong, what do i do?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: a hand from the PS 500k

Its a push.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:01 AM

First a quibble about the way you phrased something:

[ QUOTE ]
I raise it up to 2,000 (I think this may have been my first mistake, I'm out of position, but have a strong hand and want to try to either pick up the pot right there or get it heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you implying that being out of position is a factor militating in favour of just calling rather than raising? If so, I disagree with that. I think that generally, if you're going to play the hand, being out of position militates in favour of raising. The reason: the bigger the pot (in relation to remaining stacks), the less position is an advantage.

As for the flop decision, you want to push, to protect your hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:47 AM

It was a good re-raise.

The only thing you're likely behind to is a bigger premium pair or a set of 9s. I'd bet the pot because it looks stronger than an all-in, with the idea that if he pushes, you're calling.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 AM

ok, I just got into a debate about this hand with my roommate, and just wanted to be sure on my reasoning here. and beenben, the only problem with a pot-sized bet is that the pot is 4700, this guy has like 4900 left, so I figured a pot sized bet and a push would pretty much be the same thing.

but as for the results, I push, he flips QQ, I lose over half my stack. so I guess this was the right play at the wrong time, and one of those situations in poker that just gets chalked up to 'Tough luck' then?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy has like 4900 left

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a lot more than you said in your original post.