Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 11:58 PM

Default another tipping question: gas stations in NJ

ok, i've seen a number of posts in the past discussing tipping (or not) in various situations; i haven't seen this issue addressed so i'm asking about it, if it's been mentioned before i apologize.

typically, when i get gas i always use self-serve pumps, since it's a lot more expensive for full-serve. the problem, however, is that in the state of nj ALL pumps at ALL gas stations are full-serve, by law. i think i've read somewhere that this is also the case in oregon, i'm not sure. anyway, i drive to atlantic city on a pretty regular basis, so i often have to fill up on gas in jersey.

my question is: given that i have no choice of pumping my own gas there, is there an expectation that i tip the attendant? i assume that he gets paid an hourly wage for his job, is that correct? if i'm supposed to tip, how much should i tip?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: another tipping question: gas stations in NJ

When I have to fill up in NJ I don't tip. My thought has always been that if they're not giving me the option then I'm not going to tip.

Think about normal tipping occupations. It's all stuff that you could do yourself but choose to have someone else do. Instead of eating out you can cook in. Instead of ordering delivery you can cook for yourself. Instead of valet you can park your own car. But if I'm in NJ and need gas I have no option.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought has always been that if they're not giving me the option then I'm not going to tip.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's kind of the way i've felt about it too. tipping is generally something you give for someone performing sort of a luxury service for you that you could've done for yourself otherwise, but in nj you can't pump your own gas.

however, when it's the middle of the winter and it's 10 degrees out and those guys are standing out there pumping gas, i feel like a schmuck if i don't give 'em a buck or two.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 AM

all I know is in Texas we pump our own damn gas
Old 11-16-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all I know is in Texas we pump our own damn gas

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas: usually the only thing people from Texas know.

In Oregon, it's all full-serve too. I have a regular guy who I go to for gas who's really friendly and knows me well. He get a buck per tank. Otherwise when I go other places, unless it's really gross weather, they just get a thanks and a wave.

Edit for clarity.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 AM

can we get this posted as a sticky? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

i say it sarcastically but there's actually a lot of good info in the link.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In Oregon, it's all full-serve too. I have a regular guy who I go to for gas who's really friendly and knows me well. He get a buck per tank. Otherwise, unless it's really gross weather, they just get a thanks and a wave.

[/ QUOTE ]

am i reading right? if the weather's nice he gets a tip. bad weather he gets the shaft. huh?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In Oregon, it's all full-serve too. I have a regular guy who I go to for gas who's really friendly and knows me well. He get a buck per tank. Otherwise, unless it's really gross weather, they just get a thanks and a wave.

[/ QUOTE ]

am i reading right? if the weather's nice he gets a tip. bad weather he gets the shaft. huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, my guy always gets one. Other schlubs have to be wearing Goretex for consideration.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 AM

mike, your from oregon? Good luck with that.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm more likely to tip 'em too if it's freezing out. it's sort of a gulit-tip or sympathy-tip.

also, thx for the link, some good info there, but i don't think it really touches on what i'm asking about: gas stations in nj (and oregon).

"Full-Service Gas Stations

If you receive service (clean windshield, check fluid levels, etc.), the tip varies from $1-5 depending upon how much they do. $1-2 for a good job on the windshield, and $3-5 for windshield and fluid check. If you have to ask the person to do these things or they do a poor job, then I wouldn't tip anything for windshield only or $1-2 for the full whammy.

There is one big exception. If the price of gas at the self-service pumps is $1.70 and the price for full-service is $2.50, then they are already charging you for the service."