Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Am I just screwed or did I really blow it here?

No-limit Texas Hold'em $50+$4 (real money), #1,185,564,446
Long Kiss Goodnight Multi Table Tournament, 19 Aug 2005 11:16 PM ET
Seat 1: Villain ($3,645 in chips)
Seat 2: CrucialTimes ($1,170 in chips)
Seat 3: moejo13 ($1,585 in chips)
Seat 4: BMoreSpence ($1,400 in chips)
Seat 5: Hero ($1,250 in chips)
Seat 6: Da_Engineer ($110 in chips)
Seat 7: Screeendooor ($1,120 in chips)
Seat 8: Beginner Jay ($3,250 in chips)
Seat 9: hos29 ($1,560 in chips)
Seat 10: gmart13 ($1,470 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
BMoreSpence posts blind ($10), HEro posts blind ($20).

PRE-FLOP
Da_Engineer folds, Screeendooor folds, Beginner Jay folds, hos29 folds, gmart13 calls $20, OnoTheGreat calls $20, CrucialTimes calls $20, moejo13 folds, BMoreSpence calls $10, Hero bets $120, gmart13 folds, Villain calls $120, CrucialTimes folds, BMoreSpence folds.

FLOP [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] Pot: 300
Hero bets $240, Villain calls $240.

TURN [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] Pot: 780
Hero bets $400, Villain bets $1,000, Hero calls $470 and is all-in.

RIVER [board cards 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]

SHOWDOWN
Villain shows [ 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Hero shows [ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain wins $130, Villain wins $2,560.

Obviously, early stages of the tournament.

Preflop

I like my preflop raise even though it's more than recommended in HoH. There's a lot of money in the pot and
no strength shown so I want to bet more to give people worse pot odds. It's also online and early in the tournament
so I want to be properly discouraging. I have to raise because I probably have the best hand and I need to offset my positional disadvantage.

Flop

I, of course, like this flop. It's exactly what I wanted with this hand. I bet what I did because I'd played
a hand earlier and bet the flop similarly only to put the breaks on at the turn. It was designed to induce
a loose call or a raise but still put pressure on my opponent while I'm very likely ahead.

Turn

Yikes. I could easily see this guy having a ten given his earlier looose play. He's playing any two cards since he built his stack up for raises up to 10x bb preflop (he did it with 69o). If I don't bet, I lose the initiative and I'm not sure that I'm behind anyway. The range of hands with which this guy would call is quite broad. So, I bet and I know I will have to call any raises. There's a pause before he acts (I guess pretend indecisiveness), but even though I'm pretty sure (or maybe just pretty paranoid) that the guy has a ten I figure I have to call here. Folding here is way too weak and I really can't be sure I'm beat even at this point.

I think this is a classic suckout by a loose big stack.

Did I play this hand wrong or was I shuttled straight to my loss by
play I should have done? I have to raise preflop. I have to bet the flop. On the turn, I think if I check I invite
giving the hand away which I do not want to do if the guy does not have a ten. I could see my opponent raising with
a weaker queen or an underpair on the turn, but generally he's raised only with strong hands. I suspect what he considers strong and what I consider
strong are quite different.

What do you guys think about the hand? Should I have played it differently? Any way to avoid these sorts of
crappy situations in the future without giving up equity? I'll answer any questions, but I don't plan to reply to any responses. I think it's an interesting hand and I'm curious what others think.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Am I just screwed or did I really blow it here?

preflop raise is fine - 6 times BB online with two limpers already in should still get you a HU confrontation -

flop is fine - good bet -

you just got screwed is all - you're pretty much pot committed on the turn....he got lucky - it happens...

RB
Old 08-20-2005, 01:56 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it either. I might have check raised all in either on the flop or on the turn depending on how loose aggressive this guy is. Probably would have gotten the same results though.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:08 AM

I like a 180 flop bet and a 320 turn bet, folding to a raise.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a 180 flop bet and a 320 turn bet, folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]weak tight
Old 08-20-2005, 12:23 PM

You know this a good post for me to respond to. I've been wondering exactly what is the correct play here. I feel against the big stack your might be screwed either way if he's that loose. Personally I love the bet on the flop, you want to give him the worse odds if he has some bs hand like King Jack to draw out on you. His call means he has something instead of reraise. So middle pair or oesd seems plausible. Turn. God, that is the worst card. Now what. Your so pot comitted at that point, and his reraise just screams a 10. I mean is this a clear fold, if you read him for a 10, leaving you cripled now. Or is this just one of those inflection points Harrington talks about. I've seen come backs with short stacks before, although not easy. Alternative play, all in on the flop? However, aggressive big stack might just call with middle pair, thinking your bluffing and the results would be the same. But would there be folding equity? However, I don't like the all in that much. I mean you want to get paid for the hand, but you don't want to get drawn out on. Having your cake and eat it too. So all in all, I think you made the right play on the flop with the pot sized bet, and just got unlucky. This would be such a hard hand to get away from. So sorry, to leave this post with another question. But, can anyone see him not calling the turn reraise and going all in?