Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Omaha odds ?

Is omaha simalir to holdem preflop, If so do u count outs the same way you do in holdem ? Is ray zee's book good for a begginer to learn 08B ?
Old 05-08-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Omaha odds ?

[ QUOTE ]
Is omaha simalir to holdem preflop, If so do u count outs the same way you do in holdem ? Is ray zee's book good for a begginer to learn 08B ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You count odds the same way but the percentages will be slightly different since for example after the flop there are 45 unknown cards instead of 47. Ray's book is awesome, but probably over the head of a beginner.

-g
Old 05-08-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is omaha simalir to holdem preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace - Not in my humble opinion.

First of all, since you're posting on the Omaha-8 forum, I assume you're referring to Omaha-8 rather than Omaha-high.

Omaha-8, in contrast to Texas hold 'em, is a high/low split game. Huge difference.

Then you generally get dealt four cards in Omaha-8 as compared to only two cards in Texas hold 'em. Huge difference.

Then you have to play exactly two cards from your hand plus exactly three cards from the board. Huge difference.

In terms of pre-flop strategy, depends on how your opponents are playing, but in general there's more emphasis on playing hands that have a good chance of ending up as the nuts on the river. This involves a different way of thinking.

The other big difference is in terms of scooping and winning half (or a quarter) of the pot. Since you always scoop in Texas hold 'em, you don't think about it. By contrast, in Omaha-8 you need to think about scooping rather than just winning for high or just winning for low. This also involves a different way of thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
If so do u count outs the same way you do in holdem ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of. But you don't really count outs before the flop anyhow. After the flop, outs in Texas hold 'em are outs for the whole pot. By contrast, some outs in Omaha-8 are for half the pot while other outs are for the whole pot. And you often have them together in the same hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Is ray zee's book good for a begginer to learn 08B ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know exactly what you mean by "learn O8B" or how much you know already.

If you're going to play the game, Ray's book is an excellent investment, well worth the price.

If you can't learn something worthwhile from Ray's book, even as a beginner, you're not going to do very well playing Omaha-8.

Get the book.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 05-08-2005, 10:21 PM

Acepimp, one technique I've found useful for learning odds in omaha8ob gradually is to run "bad beats" you take in the twodimes calculator (www.twodimes.net) *right* after you suffer them at the table. At the start, you will often discover that you did not have as significant of an advantage as you thought, or that you were in fact a dog, sometimes a big dog. Eventually, it will be more of a tool for steam control--when you get sucked out on, go ahead and verify for yourself that when all the money went in, you had a huge advantage.

(Even when you become more intuitively familiar with omaha 8ob odds, you'll still surprise yourself from time to time with running a hand at 2dimes... the other day, I dropped a $4600 pot after getting all in, heads up, on the flop... went to run it, and discovered I was a 60/40 dog. Hammered that mistake home *real* good.)
Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 AM

I found the Omaha8 book by Lou Kreiger and Mark Tenner to be great when I was learning the game, after I read that I read Ray Zee's book, that just added to the knowledge from the first book

Kreiger/Tenners book lays out some simple starting hand requirements good for the beginning player, you will be able to tweak those as time goes on.