Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Continuation betting strategy.

I just found out that one of my biggest leaks was continuation betting way to much. Before i was doing it at least 75% percent of the times with nothing and 100% of the time with something. I would like to ask you for an approximation of how often you would continuation bet in a few situations as well as a comment of my own guidelines.

I know this is very player and table dependent but lets asume a slightly passive game where you opponent usually will call you with any decent piece of the board like top pair no kicker or pocketpair with one overcard. Also for this exercise let a continuation bet be about 3/4 of the pot.

1) overcards in position
You make a standard raise pf with AKo from the cutof and get a call from a mp limper
Flop comes 248 twotone opponent checks to you

Myself i think a continuation bet is a nice play about half the time. If i had an large overpair i would probably check about half the time here so my strategy is not getting to easy to counter.

2) Overcard to high pp
same betting sequence as previous hand but you now the board comes A69 rainbow.

I think i would continuation bet here nearly all the time to get to know where i stand. Trouble with that is that it is very likely you will get a flop call from an A little and you have to make a tough decition on turn if you can put him off his hand.

3) overcards OOP
You raise AQ from mp preflop and get a call from the button. Flop comes K87 rainbow. you are first out,

I would probably continuation bet around 25% of the time here, i raise too much preflop for the opponents to put me on AK right away and it would suck to loose to someone looking me up with a pair of tens. In ep i tend to play much more straightforward.