Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Default returning to SNGs , a lot of questions

Hallo, let me first introduce my poker career since i am new to this forum.

A year ago I started to playing poker and SNGs I played up to the 33+3 level and was winning simply by using the following strategy.

Early rounds only play AA and KK, play them strong. When blinds hit 50-100 with a stack below 10bb push any ace or pp do not call anything unless on premium hands. When bubble comes up play only premium hands unless your shortest stack then push anything that may win the blinds. When ITM play like a maniac until you either bust out first or win the thing.

After a while NL cash games got my interest and I started to play them exclusively and forgot about the SNGs.

Lately the SNGs again started to get my attention and I have played a bunch on the 100+9 level. Theese do seem very beetable to me but I think my old strategy is not even close to be a winning one so I have started to experiement quite a lot but things haven’t been turning out as well as I hoped to. My main problem is to know when to focus on chip EV and when to focus on staying alive in the tourney. I would be happy if any 100 or 200 players could give a hint on the following situations so I know if I am on the right track

1)
Blinds 100/200 6 players left
Me in the button with 1000 all six players cover me. Folded to me on button with two cards say 94s.

Ill push here every time, since there are six players left the only thing I should care about is chip EV and the chance to pick up the blinds is enough to play.
Is this right? How does the answer change if the blinds are 150-75 or 100-50. How does the answer change if there is five players left? Four?

2)
Blinds 100/200 4 players left
Me in the button with 1000, Sb and UTG has 1000 too BB is chip leader with 7000

I pick up K4o do I push?
Right now I would play this weak and fold hoping anyone of the short stack risk their chips before me, is this wrong? Should I go aggressive or play the waiting game?

3) Blinds 25-50 I have AK in BB
MP opens for 150 all fold to me, do I reraise all in? how does the answer change with QQ? With JJ?

Also is there such a thing as annotated SNG hand histories, it would be very nice to see how the good players reasoning?

Also would any 100 player be interested in exchanging hand histories with me and then comment each others plays?

Grateful for all input
Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: returning to SNGs , a lot of questions

To understand most of these situations, read the favorite threads link at the bottom of the wiki. Also under the software section, get eastbay's SNG analyzer. It will reinforce you understanding of most sitations. But you still need to know how and why it calculates what it does (and why always listening to it is a bad idea).
Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 PM

wow nice wiki, it should be sticky
Old 07-01-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow nice wiki, it should be sticky

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:32 PM

HAHHAHAH
Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 PM

sorry for bumping this but i would really like to know if there is such a thing as whole annotated SNG hand histories somewhere online?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:48 PM

I don't think there's any annotated ones but if you look at the favorite thread's list I mentioned earlier it has the vanilla hand histories of some good players at the $215s.