Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: I call upon the power of OOT...

[ QUOTE ]
"Litterally" the middle of no where, huh.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's from Sweden you silly bitch. Think twice before you hit that "Post" button.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, darn my english should not suck this much. Its "Literally" and "the middle of no where"?

[/ QUOTE ]

when you go out of your way to say that you mean something "literally" and you can not possibly mean it literally, some people can't resist pointing it out.

for future reference if she literally lives in the middle of nowhere then nowhere is an actual place and she lives in the middle of it.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 PM

Bring your cell phone so you can call her in the store to be sure you're not bringing over something she already saw.

Some suggestions:

My Life as a Dog(subtitles, but I don't know if you can read them cuz of the Swedish thing -- maybe not subtitled where you are?) Very very funny and touching, and really unusual. A kid growing up, tough childhood but really funny and lovingly observed

Spirited Away - Japanese cartoon, can watch with or without subtitles. A little girl gets separated from her parents in a strange abandoned amusement park, and when she finds them again they have been enchanted and turned into pigs. Incredibly inventive, very different and cool, thoughtful, evocative, and fun. You definitely don't have to like anime to like this one, and it isn't over the top goofy like so much anime is. This one is a slam dunk with virtually everybody, but chicks especially like the female protagonist and the wistful imaginativeness of it.

Beauty and the Beast - the original black and white by Cocteau. Subtitles(french movie) but very romantic and incredibly cool and entertaining. This one holds up extremely well even today. I've never seen a woman who was not enchanted by it. Plenty of fun for guys too. The Beast in this one is a lot more scary, though not terrifying or anything in a horror movie way.

Lost in Translation -- very moving, romantic, wistful, etc. Low energy, but high value stuff happening.

Bride of Frankenstein -- very funny oldy.

Most of the other stuff I'd recommend is either dude stuff or subtitled foreign stuff, so wouldn't know what to recommend without knowing the girl.

Oh, The Hidden was just reviewed here recently. Pick that up if you see it. Really great fun, sci-fi/horror. Good action and pacing to mix in with a slower movie or movies.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM

swedish erotica 44

keep it real homie!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figured i may as well hire three movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you paying them hourly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hire = Brit for "rent". OP probably learned British English rather than American English.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:46 PM

Well, im sure we won't need subtitles for "My life as a dog" since it is in Swedish [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the suggestions too.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, im sure we won't need subtitles for "My life as a dog" since it is in Swedish [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the suggestions too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of my favorite movies ever but not really a good date-ish movie.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:52 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Bring your cell phone so you can call her in the store to be sure you're not bringing over something she already saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice one!

i think you guys are assuming way too much with the suggestions, though. tenenbaums, spirited away, lost in translation, etc? great movies, but well off the beaten path. if he has literally no idea about her tastes i think those are pretty bad suggestions.

movies are bad enough for first dates because of the lack of interactivity. watching at home helps, but you want it to be something that's pretty easily-received. subtitles, cartoons, and art house kind of movies are going to be challenges to your average person. i think a straightforward condensed movie like sideways with some plot, some love, plenty of laughs, and a good excuse to drink is a great way to interact. the goal should be to have fun, not to impress her with your taste or pull out some "film that should be experienced".
Old 10-31-2005, 06:57 PM

this is correct.

Something easy, maybe a comedy or something you can sit back and laugh through together or something.

Christ, you're trying to hook up with this girl, not have an indepth discussion of cinematography or something.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 PM

Heheh welcome. I was pretty sure it was Swedish but didn't want to make a 100% claim on that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It really is a great movie, too. If you don't see it with her now, see it later. This is another one I've never seen a woman not blown away by. And it's just as good for guys.