Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Moving to Vegas...Help Needed!

Hello All. I'm moving to Vegas in mid December and need help finding an apartment. I've been to Vegas many times but have never strayed far from the strip and have no idea about the surrounding areas. I need help at least figuring out what areas are best. Here's what's important to me:

-I'd like to spend $800-$1100 / mo on a 1-bedroom spacious apartment
-I'd like to be close to the strip (<10 minute drive prefferable)
-I'd like to live in a decent area....I'd like it to be mostly white / middle class section of town. I don't want to fear for my life when walking around at night
-I'm 25 and single so close proximity to young people would be nice.
-close proximity to shopping would be nice.

Please help me in any way you can. I don't necessarily need specific apartment complexes but general areas, web-sites with more info, or other relavant info would be helpful....

For those of you currently in Vegas, i look forward to seeing you at the tables there. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Moving to Vegas...Help Needed!

"I'd like to be close to the strip (<10 minute drive prefferable)"

If you make that 15 minutes, and learn the back routes such as Frank Sinatra Drive, you could live almost anywhere that meets your other criteria. Get used to driving, the good news is that on the East side of town and on the freeways, they drive fast.

As a threshold issue though, why would you move there if you have no idea what the off-strip areas are like ?

Try Green Valley (Henderson) or the Lakes (West)areas. Get a 6 month lease on an apartment to see if you'd like to make it longer term.

I do not know what rents are like these days, but $1100 should be doable for an older, not-very spacious apartment.

Truepoker CEO
Old 10-24-2005, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the advice?

[ QUOTE ]
As a threshold issue though, why would you move there if you have no idea what the off-strip areas are like ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm moving to Vegas mainly to play poker. I'm sure there are decent areas to live and that I'll find other things to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Get a 6 month lease on an apartment to see if you'd like to make it longer term.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much the plan....My partents also live in LA so i plan on spending some time with them and also checking out the LA poker scene. This is probably not a lifelong decision

[ QUOTE ]
I do not know what rents are like these days, but $1100 should be doable for an older, not-very spacious apartment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is suprising to me. From looking briefly at rent.net it looked like $1100 would get me an upper end 1-bedroom apartment. I don't need something luxurious. My main requirements are a decent neighborhood, >750 sq feet, w/d in apt.

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM

"I'll find other things to do."

One more thing ....

There is no sex in the Champagne Room.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no sex in the Champagne Room.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMMIT!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:55 PM

I moved in August to the Green Valley area. I'm 17 minutes off-peak drive time to the Bellagio. There's plenty of shopping and stuff to do within 5 minutes of anywhere you live in Green Valley. I wholeheartedly endorse it.

There are young people pretty much everywhere in Vegas. You'll be fine.

I also echo the sentiment that you should get a 6 month lease and plan from there.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is suprising to me. From looking briefly at rent.net it looked like $1100 would get me an upper end 1-bedroom apartment. I don't need something luxurious. My main requirements are a decent neighborhood, >750 sq feet, w/d in apt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You skipped the part where he said he didn't know what rents were like these days. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] $1100 is PLENTY for a one bedroom no matter where you want to live. My fiancee and I live in a 1,000+ sq. ft. 2 bedroom and pay $955 in Green Valley.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 AM

yeah you can get a 3 bedroom house renting for that much.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:15 AM

I rent a four bedroom house for $1200 in Copper Creek, which is a very new, very nice area about 10 minutes from strip on Tropicana. So a one bedroom apartment is very doable for $1100.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 AM

I have a 2 bedroom near GVR for 1k a month. 2 bath with washer/dryer and it's 1200 sqft on the second floor.
www.apartmentguide.com