Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: betgo\'s red zone idea in practice

[ QUOTE ]
Listen to yourself, you're planning on calling a reraise.. but you ahve 9Ts! it's not that strtong of a hand, you won't be favorite... so you decide to play the hand so that it looks alright when you eventually do call the all in? No way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're worried about being the favorite you would just fold the T9s to the all-in, right?
Since hero has ALREADY DECIDED to call a re-raise, I think he should choose a raise size that is going to be more in line with the goals he is trying to accomplish, namely:
1)Get the blinds to fold
2)Call a push from BB with reasonable odds
Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 PM

but the point is that i don't always call a push, esp if SB pushes. so i want to give myself the option of folding with minimal losses, and i also want to get myself into a spot where BBs push hand range will include a lot of hands that i don't mind going allin with. mind you, i still believe he will fold alot, but there's a huge difference between my equity when he pushes his top 25% of hands than when he pushes his top 5-10% of hands.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but the point is that i don't always call a push, esp if SB pushes. so i want to give myself the option of folding with minimal losses, and i also want to get myself into a spot where BBs push hand range will include a lot of hands that i don't mind going allin with. mind you, i still believe he will fold alot, but there's a huge difference between my equity when he pushes his top 25% of hands than when he pushes his top 5-10% of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, fair enough, but I think the additional folding equity from a bigger raise compensates for those concerns. After all, you're essentially hoping to steal the blinds, and a small raise is really inviting a re-steal from a hand where you might have a shot if you call the re-steal but you don't really want it to even come to that.
In other words, I see your point-- especially since I DO make those raises with marginal hands intending to call re-steals-- but in practical application you want to just take the pot down here more often than not.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 PM

well, i think this is why it's an application of stacksize theory. winnign the blinds here is nice, but its not the ultimate goal. when your stack is the size mine was there, i don't NEED to win the blinds. sure, its still a blind steal, and i still want to win the blinds, but i don't mind sacrificing a small % of my ability to steal the blinds in exchange for other factors. mainly here its the chance to win BB's stack when he resteals. it will be a gamble when i call his push, but i think the EV is there.

witht the smaller raise i fell my steal % is still decent, although not quite as high as if i made a larger raise. and its also givingg BB the chance to make a bigger mistake. when i raise bigger he'll usually play more/less correctly against me FTOP wise, and i'll be the one making a mistake.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:28 AM

Hmm. I like the way you think about this. That makes sense. My approach is more applicable later in the tournament, with antes and such, and when your stack is shorter.
I suppose I feel iffy about such a close gamble... but hell, I always admire anyone willing to take a risk to try to pick up a big stack.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 AM

I agree w/ PFkaok. His situation isn't that -EV and I think w/ his stacksize (being tough to play) that gambling here is a good risk.