Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Racism

I got in a big argument today with someone who said that they would never marry a black girl. I clarified that given two girls whom he likes equally, and likes everything about, he would marry the white one but not the black one becuase he would feel uncomfortable with her. I told him him that this was blatantly racist. He got incredibly upset and told me to shut the [censored] up, and that he is the farthest thing from racist.

So it got me to thinking, was I right, or is he right in that it is not racist? seems pretty clear cut tome, though its obviously a topic to avoid in the future.

And beyond that, what IS the defintion of racism? After some thought, it seems to me that the belief that there is an inherent difference between people based on race, and that you already know two people are different before you ever meet them solely based on race is what constitutes racism.

Thoughts?

EDITS: Its nto about physical attraction. He owuldnt marry a black girl that he thought was mroe beautiful than any woman alive becuase he "wouldnt feel comfortable walknig around ion public holding her hand."
Old 09-28-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Racism

Hmm, I see this thread becoming a productive discussion of social constructionism, institutional/structural racism, the shift to the psychological model (a "racist" [person/act/speech] vs. social embedded patterns of dominance and inequity), the history of "races," their deployment both in the Colonies and in Western Europe, and the net effect of resiliant social sanction.

I don't really need to say "PSYCH," after that, do I?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:15 PM

that is not racist at all. I'm not racist and I would prefer a white girl over a black one. Just a personal preference. I also agree that I would be more comfortable with a white girl. It's just the way I am I guess.

I hope i'm not alone on this.

Personally, I'm just thrilled to have the opportunity of reading another racism post.

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I see this thread becoming a productive discussion of social constructionism, institutional/structural racism, the shift to the psychological model (a "racist" [person/act/speech] vs. social embedded patterns of dominance and inequity), the history of "races," their deployment both in the Colonies and in Western Europe, and the net effect of resiliant social sanction.

I don't really need to say "PSYCH," after that, do I?

[/ QUOTE ]

f'ing BIMO
Old 09-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Sometimes they don't properly fill the grilled stuft burritos...quite frustrating indeed....
Old 09-28-2005, 03:17 PM

We've had this thread and I think the conclusion was that this is not racist.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is not racist at all. I'm not racist and I would prefer a white girl over a black one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there you have it.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 PM

doesn't make much sense - if he likes them equally, but feels uncomforatable around the black one - he can't like them equally.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 PM

So disqualifying someone as a future spouse before meeting them SOLELY based on race isnt racist? Im curious and open to hear thje argument, and if i agree with it i owe the guy an apology.

Anybody got a link to the old thread?