Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 02:28 AM

Default 3 Hands for Review - Comments Appreciated (Trying to learn)

Please take a moment and comment on the following hands, I am trying to learn and these are three hands from my session today. There are both winners and losers here. But I think that there may be issues with the way I played each one.

All comments are appreciated!

Thank you!

Margon

--------------------------------------------------------------

On this hand I am pretty happy with the way that I played it upto the Turn, after the turn raise I don't know if this is a hand that I can let go, if I should continue aggressively with, or if I should call it down.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Hero ($57.75)
BB ($55.00)
UTG ($24.00)
Button ($44.26)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4.00 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB.

-------------------------------------------

On this hand, it was played pretty passively all around, at any point before the river I was ready to fold it if it was raised to me, so it was a check/fold situation. Should I have played this more aggressively pre-river, I don't know if this hand / pot was worth trying to protect. Also, was the attempted check/raise ont he river a bad play on my part?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

SB ($56.15)
Hero ($56.50)
UTG ($47.00)
MP ($18.50)
CO ($49.97)
Button ($48.13)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (2.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB.

---------------------------------------------------------

On this hand I was slow playing the Q's to the river, I had position so if the SB didn't bet on either the flop or turn, I would have, but wanted to slowplay this a little, as it was a strong hand. I am thinking that I may have played this non-optimally on each street but I am not sure. Was capping this river a bit 'spewwy'?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Hero ($57.00)
CO ($24.25)
Button ($23.25)
SB ($45.47)
BB ($51.01)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.00 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB.

-----------------------------------

Again, thank you for your comments.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: 3 Hands for Review - Comments Appreciated (Trying to learn)

1. Fold preflop
2. Looks good
3. I would raise the turn - but again, since it is heads up I like your line too
Old 08-28-2005, 03:13 AM

1. Easy, easy call preflop. Default play should be to fold on the turn. You've shown a lot of strength and he's raising you on the turn. He has you beat here 80+% of the time.

2. Terrible river play, IMO. This is a must bet, and people will call with a 4, 2, or pocket pair. Too much chance of it being checked through. After the button bets, it is a close decision whether to raise or not. I'd just call, so so as to not shut people out. There's a OK chance button has a 5 too.

3. This is OK. Probably better to raise the turn though, since at that point it looks like SB has an Ace that he won't be able to lay down, and he might check call the river with it. Capping the river might be excessive, but it's hard to say without a read on SB. Not a big error either way.

Edit: Oh, and on hand 2, it's not worth trying to bluff 4 other players on the flop or turn. If there was only 2 others, you should certainly consider a turn bet.

ZZZ
Old 08-28-2005, 05:51 AM

what he said. I hate calling down from the turn raise in hand 1, hand 2 the only question is whether overcalls make you more on the river (I don't think they would as you got 3BB raising, and would probably get the same/less by overcalling).

Hand 3 is a goot HU line.

Regards,
Pete H.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 AM

1) It seems apparent that he is slowplaying a set of aces. He could have reraised the flop, but chose not to -&gt; probably waiting for you to bet into him on the turn, so he could reraise. This play is often screaming huge hand.
However, given that its .50-1.00 , im sure there is a lot of crazyness going on. So don't completely ignore the chance that he just picked up a 10 on the turn, and is just looking at his hand and ignoring the chance that someone has three aces.

Also, why would someone fold Q5 suited preflop in the sb? It only costs 1/2 a bet which with that many people is enough for the flush draw. Also, your queen has a bit of high card strength even without a strong kicker.

2) Done well except consider the bluff for when the low card on the board pairs. Even though with lots of other players, the chance that they all fold to your bet seems remote, they will still do so fairly often if they are weak or don't fight over small pots with scare cards out.

3) I think you were slowplaying in order to get more money out of the guy without scaring him away. When the bet/raise size doubled on the turn, I'm wondering why you didnt reraise to try and get as much action as possible from the guy. He probably has an ace or a queen. If he has an ace its likely that he just has two pair. If he has a queen you are nearly always outkicking him as long as he doesnt have queens full. Also, keeping in mind that it's .50-1.00, I wouldnt give too much credit to the guy for having queens-full just because he is pumping the pot with chips.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:32 PM

Thank you all for the comments. I think that it is pretty clear that on the first hand the post turn raise call down was a pretty poor play. I never seem to throw away a hand after a turn raise and this is likely costing me 1-2 bb/100. Thanks again!

margon
Old 08-28-2005, 03:06 PM

hand 1: bet the flop, you don't know that someone is going to bet for you; although c/r isn't too bad. fold the turn here. Once you show strength on the flop, and then get turn raised, you are beat most of the time here.

hand 2: played fine up to the river, you have no pair, a gutshot, and a weak pair draw at best in a small pot, no need to get aggressive and try to take the pot multiway here. Bet this river, and maybe put CO on your buddy list. In a small pot where no one has shown any interest you have no guarantee that someone will valuebet or bluff this river once you check. Bet, and hope to get calls from 4's, small PPs, maybe even a 2.

hand 3: I think I like your line up to the river. I'd cap river against most opponents.