Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: sure fire way to fix the gas crisis...

Although humorous, completely off topic. Well not completely, it was that disaster that pretty much ended hydrogen use to power internal combustion engines. Hydrogen as a fuel source would be stored in a frozen state and would be, infact, less volitile than gasoline.

And Patrick, your still going to have to have trouble making me believe that we can't improve upon technologies that were in use 60-70 years ago.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Come on Jake, as creative as you are, I know you're more intelligent than that.

Well, I could be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 01:27 PM

Yes, raising the price will make more barrels of oil magically appear in the ground.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, raising the price will make more barrels of oil magically appear in the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic economics. It costs $50/barrel to get oil in location A which has known reserves of 100,000,000 barrels. It costs $70/barrel to get oil from location B with known reserves of 100,000,000 barrels. Oil company can sell oil for $60/barrel. That makes it economically viable to drill in location A, not location B. When prices rise to $80/barrel, drilling can occur at location B, effectively doubling the supply of oil.

As an aside, this is why artificial price ceilings on commodities do far more harm than good. Lowering the retail price of a good below market does not affect the costs of supplying the good. Hence, less is supplied resulting in massive shortages that don't occur when supply and demand are left to allocate resources effectivly.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gas still isn't expensive. there is no crisis. just a bunch of whiners.

imho at least

[/ QUOTE ]

It's relative to the prices we had. gas prices have doubled in 3 years, has your salary?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really small sample size. Between 1980 and 2000, the price of gas was pretty much the same. See linky.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The report I heard on NPR said there's only about two years' oil (for the entire US) in Alaska.

[/ QUOTE ]

for $70/barrel they can get a lot more than that -- if i remember correctly that 2-year bit was back when oil was ~$20/barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats some funny sh1t......Do you see why?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The report I heard on NPR said there's only about two years' oil (for the entire US) in Alaska.

[/ QUOTE ]

for $70/barrel they can get a lot more than that -- if i remember correctly that 2-year bit was back when oil was ~$20/barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats some funny sh1t......Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand that as the price of gas goes up, more can be pumped out of the ground? Wether that balances out the increase in consumption, I hae no clue.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:10 PM

If theres x amount of oil in the ground there is x amount of oil in the ground regardless of the cost of x
Old 09-03-2005, 10:41 PM

i think he meant that as the price gets higher, the rate at which we are consuming oil will eventually fall, since it will become prohibitively expensive - so 2 year's worth may end up lasting longer since the rate of consumption would fall slightly.

who knows whether NPR took this factor into consideration in their figures...
bk
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 PM

as the price goes up more wells come on line. as most wells cannot produce at the current prices anymore. higher prices means more oil. but more oil isnt the problem. its too much useless driving big cars.
the real solution is to tax cars by size or miles per gallon they get. and return that tax to the smaller cars that are fuel effecient. this way it does not penalize the poor as they get cheaper gas, and those that want to splurge pay the piper. or put a 5000 surcharge on cars that get less than 30 mpg and it it back to those who buy one that does.
if most of the cars on the road start getting 30 mpg there will be lots of gas around and less pollution to breath for some time.
i think the current system is fine. you pay for what you use. but it seems most people are griping about the cost of a product that they waste. and can do something about it by driving around more carefully. you save about 30 cents a gallon every ten miles an hour you slow down and can cut the average persons gas bill in half by doing that and getting a small toyota or honda.