Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 AM

Default PLO8 - Top set on low board 3-way

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=166119

I'll post my thoughts after some criticism so people don't have to switch back and forth between the HH and this.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: PLO8 - Top set on low board 3-way

any low is freerolling you for a straight and/or a flush to scoop the pot (assuming the board doesn't pair) This is not a flop you want to go nutso with because you're an underdog to any low. (at best you can take the high--but since you have no low that low can catch even runner runner straight possibility...)

I would have raised this preflop because I want to get the weird junk out (what the BB had--the guy that ended up scooping the pot) if you can.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any low is freerolling you for a straight and/or a flush to scoop the pot (assuming the board doesn't pair) This is not a flop you want to go nutso with because you're an underdog to any low. (at best you can take the high--but since you have no low that low can catch even runner runner straight possibility...)

I would have raised this preflop because I want to get the weird junk out (what the BB had--the guy that ended up scooping the pot) if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]
No you dont raise preflop "to get the weird junk out", you raise preflop because it's a profitable hand and you don't care if they call or fold.

On that flop I ALWAYS check it down, you have nothing more than a draw to half a pot. When low hits and all you have is a high hand with no possible low it's nothing more than a draw to half a pot. Which as you should know, is an easy fold heads up to a pot bet and only a shove with 3 other people in the hand.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:20 PM

A couple points you might want to consider. Although you have aces, neither is suited, decreasing the value of your hand greatly. As you know, it's a one-way hand, making it a relative piece of cr*p unless it's a multi-way pot where you can get paid off if it hits. When you play "Top one-ways", you rarely get paid off shorthanded or heads-up. You either need to preflop raise to get the money in the pot, or have multi-way action so there might be a chaser or two in the field. If you hit your hand strong what are the odds of another hand being there with you? Not very high. The only way to get any post flop action is to hit and stave off the flush draws. It really is Not a money making proposition in most situations. Don't let the bullets misguide your POV when playing O/8.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Preflop: Not thinking it's too awesome of a hand, I wanted some limp action in there, and I didn't feel it was strong enough for a raise pf (the blinds were big stacks so I'm not even sure if either guy in the hand folds their hands for a raise anyway)

Flop: Should I just fold right there? It's a small bet, I don't think as peel is horrible. If it was pot/re-pot, that might make it a little easier, but I don't think I'd hate to see any turn card that pairs the board, or is a K-9, maybe a 7. 2-3-4 are the worst I could see.

Turn: Pretty easy fold with 34 getting there plus putting two flush draws on board.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Not thinking it's too awesome of a hand, I wanted some limp action in there, and I didn't feel it was strong enough for a raise pf (the blinds were big stacks so I'm not even sure if either guy in the hand folds their hands for a raise anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your stack is too small to call in this spot with the type of hand you have. You have a one way hand you either raise and try to get all in or you fold. This type of hand is extremely weak as its a one way high hand even with Aces its a weak hand, I rather wait for a 2 way hand to make my move. I would fold this, but raising and trying to shove wouldnt be that bad either. I just hate the call preflop its the worst move in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:21 PM

I didn't mean weird junk out of there as much as I meant not letting him see a free flop out of the blind.