Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: classic rock?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Punk and grunge are also rock music.

[/ QUOTE ]
just like wiki says, so are r&b and jazz

[/ QUOTE ]
It means that rock is derivative of those forms, not the other way around. Rock started as an offshoot of R&B. Punk and grunge are simply forms of rock.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fill in the blank:
Punk ____
Grunge ____

[/ QUOTE ]
its a genre, and not the point. like zephed's little wiki link, rock n roll through tons of genres that would never even be considered to be played with the likes of a what is played right now on classic rock channels (i.e. jazz, r&b).

there has to be a point in which rock n roll is divided or the audience will be. so you are going to put punkROCK right after a beatles tune? my mom would call the station wondering why the [censored] social D is on that station.

rock n roll is too broad this is why we break it down.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

That's fine and I understand all of that. But there is nothing that is just rock. Everything that you consider "rock" I could classify into some sort of sub-genre. I'm basically still taking issue with your statement that Nirvana is not rock.

Technically, rock n' roll would be almost exclusively the Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis 12-bar blues stuff.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It means that rock is derivative of those forms, not the other way around. Rock started as an offshoot of R&B. Punk and grunge are simply forms of rock.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes and...

they are all still forms of rock n roll correct? from elvis pressley to social distortion to nirvana to the beatles to bb king to dylan right? its just a matter of what genre they fight in. this is why we have a radio station for king, a radio station for nirvana and social d, a radio station for dylan, the beatles and maybe elvis.

i mean there is a reason stations play one type of music right? to appeal to an audience, then when you add a whole new breed from another decade that has completely different influences i just don't think its going to fit in and the audience will understand it.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically still taking issue with your statement that Nirvana is not rock.

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry. they are rock.

i was thinking too technically when i made the comment.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes and...

[/ QUOTE ]
just clarifying, as it seemed that you might have misinterpreted.

[ QUOTE ]
they are all still forms of rock n roll correct? from elvis pressley to social distortion to nirvana to the beatles to bb king to dylan right? its just a matter of what genre they fight in. this is why we have a radio station for king, a radio station for nirvana and social d, a radio station for dylan, the beatles and maybe elvis.

i mean there is a reason stations play one type of music right? to appeal to an audience, then when you add a whole new breed from another decade that has completely different influences i just don't think its going to fit in and the audience will understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally agree. And it works the other way. I like a lot of that 90s stuff, but I'm not going to listen to a classic rock station to listen to it. At some point there will probably be enough support for it to produce its own genre. Right now, the producers must feel that it doesn't belong with the newer stuff, so it gets lumped in with the "classic" material. I don't pretend to have a intricate understanding of the market and what it's ready for. I suspect that these huge corporations that run the radio stations do.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 PM

you think they maybe slowly introducing newer material into the playlist and then in about 5 years we will be hearing everything from what has been mentioned in this thread to weezer?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you think they maybe slowly introducing newer material into the playlist and then in about 5 years we will be hearing everything from what has been mentioned in this thread to weezer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless there is demand for that sort of stuff to be its own genre with its own station, yes.

EDIT: I think it will be a gradual influx and will be fairly selective regarding what bands and songs are included, at least initially.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:03 PM

I hate sounding like a shill, but I constantly praise satellite radio and one of the major reasons is the way they segment the music so well (Sirius in my case). There are a few different classic rock stations, and you aren't going to hear Nirvana on any of them. Nirvana is played on a few other channels, the modern rock channel, the alternative channel and a modern rock/punk/rap mix channel targetted at the skate/snowboard type of crowd. They are probably on a couple other channels that I dont listen to as frequently also. There are a variety of classic rock stations too, one is classic ~1960-1975, ~1970-1985, 80s hair rock, harder music from the 70s and 80s, and another channel that plays mostly b-sides and hard to find material from ~1965-1985. This makes it easy to find the type of music I want to listen to at that time. I stopped listening to regular radio even before I got satellite because most of the stations seemed to be really confused on what their true format was, playing classics, early 90s and newer stuff all back to back and it was hard to hear a consistent batch of good music.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: It\'s simple math guys

[ QUOTE ]
really. our station plays so many that i will just start rambling a few off the top of my head

Hendrix Albums:
Are You Experienced? 1967
Electric Ladyland 1968

Led Zeppelin Albums:
I 1969
II 1969

Moody Blues Albums:
Days of Future Passed 1967
On the Threshold of a Dream 1969
To Our Childrens, Childrens, Children 1969

The Doors Albums:
The Doors 1967
Strange Days 1967
Waiting for the Sun 1968
Soft Parade 1969

The Beatles Albums:
holy crap i can't even begin here .

there are so many more. your classic rock station seriously doesn't play songs from these albums or other great stones albums etc. from the 60's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it all depends on what's testing well in music research. The 60's stuff you just named tests really well. As far as the Stones go, of course we still play them. Songs like "Honky Tonk Women" and "Start Me Up" test well in the demo, while older Stones songs like "Time Is On My Side" or "Get Off My Cloud" don't test as well. I shouldn't have made such a broad statement that the 60's catlog is gone, it's just very scaled back.

Also, in markets with multiple classic rock stations, often one will lean to the older era, and the other will be more late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. In markets with only one, you won't hear the older stuff played as much.