Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Default is this a horrible fold?

i dont really post much, but i do lurk quite a bit and i have learned a lot from this board..

anyway here is a hand from a Live cash game (is this the wrong forum).. $1/$2 60 min 300 max..

8 handed, i have about $140 with 99

utg limps
i raise to $11 (and im not sure but isnt this is a bit high usually? it seemed like at this table the typical pf raise.. even open raises are between $10-15.. which is weird but oh well)

CO calls, and SB calls
pot is 46
flop 8 5 2 rainbow.

SB leads 17..
utg folds
i raise 30 to 47
co folds
SB reraises 50 to 97... leaving himself with like 15

there is no way im just calling this bet.. and if i push im left with about $7

my reads on the SB have been that he is fairly passive with his monsters.. in the past he has CR me with TPTK (AK) and then check called me all the way through (i had AQ).. he is a fairly solid player, and not a goof preflop.. so i know he doesnt have any unpaired cards under T..

i think for probably 3 minutes.. and fold.
he shows 77

just how bad of a fold was this?

in retrospect, being the SB he probably would have reraised with AA-TT... i have a fairly tight table image, showing down a small amount of hands, and rarely every showing down with just top pair.. i didnt put him on a set because he would have just called my flop raise, right?

thanks for all responses
and flaming is expected.. i feel so weak tight..
Old 09-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: is this a horrible fold?

Yes, terrible fold. Pretty much the best flop you could hope for with that hand. (well, not counting ones that contain a 9! lol and a 7, too for the hand in question) Any pocket pair better than yours would probably reraise PF. Also, don't post what villian showed after you folded.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Is this really a bad fold? I'd like to hear from some others because, frankly, I am ok with this fold. As it turns out SB ridiculously overplayed his hand, but it looks for all the world like an acceptable way to play a set (nice medium bet to see if you get customers, you get raised, so credit raiser with a big hand and put him to a decision for his stack--no problem playing a set this way, IMO). I think most of the time this is a set, and, therefore, I do not disagree with this fold.

What if OP had called, villain had a set, and then OP posted this under the subject line: Got Stacked with 99--Overplayed my hand? Who would tell him NH here?

On the other hand, how does this hand play if OP just calls on the flop bet? I have been in similar situations before, and would like to know what others think is the best way to play this hand. I have both raised and called in similar situations, but have yet to figure out which seems optimal.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:16 PM

I play it the exact same way, including folding to the reraise.

And I would also raise the flop in this situation. Mainly because just about any card that hits on the turn will be bad for me. I'm thinking that when he bets into me on the flop I'm good normally. When he reraises, I'm thinking I'm beat. Not sure how I'm beat, but I'm normally beat. Well played.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:23 PM

I think you played it fine and its a good fold.

you basically have to put him on a bluff or 77, 66, 44, 33, 67, an 8 in order to think your 99 are good and given your passive read, I don't think its any of those.

just adjust your read and play accordingly in later hands.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, terrible fold. Pretty much the best flop you could hope for with that hand. (well, not counting ones that contain a 9! lol and a 7, too for the hand in question) Any pocket pair better than yours would probably reraise PF. Also, don't post what villian showed after you folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT-JJ almost never reraises preflop at this level. QQ is not autoraise either.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:34 AM

thanks all for the looks/replies