Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Too Passive with AA on a 99x9x board

This sort of thing doesnt happen that often, but hows my line. Too passive or am i correct to fear the red nine?

It's my first hand at the table, so no real reads. I've been waiting to post in the BB and all three of the players that saw the flop seemed loose and somewhat passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (16.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (22.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.16 BB
Old 02-10-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Too Passive with AA on a 99x9x board

cap the turn.

cap the river.

only quads beats you, or did you not realize this?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 AM

Villains in this hand loose and passive?

I would put UTG+2 on KK or QQ. Anyway you should have him beat.

UTG who called your 3-bet preflop and then raised you and capped on the flop is a concern. He could have either a 9 or an 8. He could of course also have JJ or TT but I find that less likely. I would perhaps have been a little bit more aggressive than you were. I would have 3-betted the turn and I would have lead the river if only called. If UTG had capped the turn I would have slowed down and check/called.

I think that your way of playing the turn and the river is good too. Unlimited aggreession on the turn and river from your side against a loose passive I really think is reckless.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 AM

UTG+2's big pair is giving you some nice overlay to keep raising. UTG might have the 9, but if he does, he would have won a lot more bets from me than he did from you. I definitely am capping the turn. I might finally slow down then and just call a river raise.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 AM

Seems to me as if you missed at least two big bets, maybe 4.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cap the turn.

cap the river.

only quads beats you, or did you not realize this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a mistake.

Clearly Hero should 3-bet the turn, but if he gets capped, putting in more than one to two bets on the river is stupid.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly Hero should 3-bet the turn, but if he gets capped, putting in more than one to two bets on the river is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This somes up my reason for posting. With the aggression I have shown preflop and on the flop, for villian to still be betting and raising suggests hes not too bothered about the board, so it imo rules out 88.

If i 3-bet on the turn and villian smooth calls, I'm leading the river and calling a raise?

Best,

Harry
Old 02-10-2005, 11:35 AM

With only one card in the entire deck that can beat you, you'll win this hand more then enough times to make up for what you lose when your opponent does have a 9.

I'd play this hard all the way.

T
Old 02-10-2005, 11:46 AM

"I'd play this hard all the way"

This has to be the right call. What is UTG calling with here? some suited connector with a 9? A-9? (poster's got two aces already). I think there's about a 5% chance that UTG has the nine. He could have any pair and figure you are full of it. Maybe tens or jacks. I just can't imagine the guy playing many hands that could possibly beat you here...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If i 3-bet on the turn and villian smooth calls, I'm leading the river and calling a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be my line. If he caps the turn I would check/call the river.