Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Where does the money come from?

With the exception of the highest levels of poker, the vast majority of winning poker players' profit comes from the bad play of their opponents rather than from their own brilliance.

That's why the single most important skill in poker is game selection. It does you no good to be the 10th best player in the world if the 9 who are better than you are sitting in the game.

That has precisely zero to do with gender, though live, being female may make some men make faulty assumptions. Of course that is also an example of a mistake from which you profit.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. My experience has shown the most effective weapon in a female players arsenal is the low cut tight-fitting blouse; tank tops are good too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Thank you for all of your responses. I realized after posting that this subject is covered in one of the first chapters of SSHE. I do play at lower limits, and it just feels weird to NOT do anything, and just wait for others to make mistakes. Once again, thank you.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have found that the way I make $$$ at poker is by waiting for other players to make mistakes and/or by semi-bluffing, rather than any "skill" or fancy plays on my part. Is this correct? Is this only because I am female? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
hey baby.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for all of your responses. I realized after posting that this subject is covered in one of the first chapters of SSHE. I do play at lower limits, and it just feels weird to NOT do anything, and just wait for others to make mistakes. Once again, thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a 'mathematically correct' way to play poker. It's not clear what that is, but it's certain that it exists. Against unknown opponents (which is likely on line) you're going to have to play something approximating it, and then let your opponents make mistakes. In practice, nobody knows what the ideal play is, since the math is too hard, but, aside from that, the only reason to vary from this play is in order to exploit an opponent's weaknesses.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That has precisely zero to do with gender, though live, being female may make some men make faulty assumptions. Of course that is also an example of a mistake from which you profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just recently at a live table with two ok looking chicks who were friends. They would kiss every time they won a hand.

They limped in about 70% of their hands and at least one of them would show down. The horn-dogs at the table would toss in chips with crappy hands and fold their decent ones just to see that magic kiss.

I'd pound them relentlessly when I had a reasonable hand. Occasionally getting outdrawn but definitely getting the best of it. And STILL they ended up way ahead for the night.

So I guess being female can help make money at the table…

SP
Old 12-24-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have found etc. Is this only because I am female?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, some men have found the same thing.