Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Can you see something wrong with my preflop play here?

I think Ive identifyed a major problem in my game. Just wanted to be sure so Im going to post a hand and you can let me know if you like how i played pre-flop or not. (I imagine not)

The problem Im finding is that I have a habit of limping behind other limpers. Sometimes possibly with hands that are not even worth playing, but most of the time in situations where I would of probally been better off raising since I have position and have a chance to take out the blinds. Also I probally would be increasing my value significanly since all the limpers are going to call.

The strange thing I found is that when I open I usually always raise because I dont want a LP raiser behind me, yet when I get a limper I dont raise them (unless I had a high quality hand)

I dug up this hand because it's probally close to either problem, maybe this hand wasnt worth playing from that position and if it is, I probally should of definately raised, not limped?

I also think Im losing tons of money because of this if Im right.

---------
Reads: CS was in over 70% of all the hands, this was one of those rare hands that he didnt see the showdown

TP was weak pre-flop but aggressive post flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 :#A500AF(CS1)/ calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB :#A500AF(TP)/ checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
TP checks, CS1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, TP calls, CS1 folds.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TP checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, TP calls.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB
Old 11-26-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Can you see something wrong with my preflop play here?

Against a lot of players, limping behind is fine here. Against a very loose-passive player, I'm raising to isolate every day and twice on Sunday with a mid-suited ace. The exception is if players behind you are sensitive to this, and might re-isolate you by 3-betting a hand like AJ or AQ or 99, which puts you in big trouble.

You played the rest of the hand fine.