Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on Tilt

Short of breath.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on Tilt

I become disappointed in myself and turn into a calling station, hoping that I can suck out and get back on track.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on

I get angry. Not at the donk that spikes the two outer, or at myself, or at the cards. I just get angry. Maybe frustrated is a better word. I keep reminding myself of variance and the long run, but all I can start thinking about is how really the long run is. I lose interest. It's not that I stop having fun, I just lose interest. The desire to go outside and do something active starts to build up, and results in me quitting.

When I start to tilt I flat out quit. I convince myself I'm playing poorly and that I need to take a break. This results in me leaving many profitable tables and playing a lot of short sessions. It wouldn't surprise me if it ups my standard deviation, either.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 AM

Feel:

It feels like someone has set off a ticking bomb in my chest, and when the beat card comes, it explodes.

The heat gradually rises through my throat, into my brain. It literally feels like the heat is making my head expand. I lose focus, I cant see as clearly.. My eyesite goes ( I cant see the fold button)... I focus on the person that delivered the beat and wish many many cruel deaths upon him.

Actions:

LOL. If I lose in a cash game.. I short buy at a high stake (10/20 NL) and just try to double up in 10 minutes. If i lose that, I get even worse. I then buy in for the full amount.. and will call any possible draw (gutshot/backdoor flush) irrespective of pot odds. One time I got busted from a $11 rebuy with 12 people to go (AA vs 9/6 on a 9/2/2 flop where if I win that I am monster CL) and I ended up steaming through my entire bankroll ($5.5k) in about 11 minutes. Its like a force comes over me. its uncontrollable.

Thats how I used to feel anyway.. these days if I get a sick beat, 80% of the time I will walk into my lounge, kick open the bong and smoke my way out of the tilt. 20% of the time I still go f***king rampant on the cash tables, but at lower stakes.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on

[ QUOTE ]
I start hoping instead of reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:41 AM

I feel impatient and angry. As another poster wisely said: I start to hope instead of reason. I usually stop playing fairly quickly.

Last night what I did was go to a .05/.10 limit table (I usually play no limit) at pacific and played like a maniac.

Raise with K2s utg 2x and then type in chat what I have and continue to bet/raise with nothing.

Three bet with 36o in small blind (flop came 445 and I bet my draw agressively as possible hitting the 2 on the river to take it down)

Raise in ep with 10 4o and bet/raise all the way on a 33K board hitting running 4's on the turn and river to take it down.

Checkraise in a multiway pot on the river with 5 high.

I kept typing in the chat how I was a great player and how 36 always win if you raise with it, etc...

I think I limped preflop twice and folded about that many hands preflop too. The rest I raised/reraised regardless of position/action. Once in a while I slowed down post flop but not often.

It was great fun. I cashed out like .50 in the negative after about 2 hours of play. Most fun I've had playing poker in months lol
Old 08-10-2005, 10:13 AM

My stomache will ache and I'll feel like I need to vommit. My mouth gets dry, and starts to taste bad. My whole body overheats, but mostly my head. It really feels like steam is coming out of my ears. After a while, I can't really see straight. Its almost like I'm dizzy from a head trauma. I'll think I have the nuts w/ my flush, but fail to see the PAIR on the board.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:16 AM

I have three types of tilt.

Tilt 1 applies to limit. It is when I am being drawn out on and I get angry and overaggressive against anyone in marginal situations. I bet and raise far too much and then my bluffs get picked off alot more. This makes me more angry when the call down with bottom pair etc. Weirdly, this only applies to the table I am being outdrawn on when I am multitabling.

Tilt 2 is for NL. I don't play it alot and tend to be more results driven. When I am down a buy-in etc I push alot harder and my bluffing frequency goes up alot. Incidently it is the tilt that I am most self-aware of when I am playing. I should be able to correct it easily. But I don't.

Tilt 3 is not really tilt. I play drunk and can lose 5% of my bankroll playing like a donkey.

Very good thread idea.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:26 AM

I think it is useful to focus on the physical feelings - to try and isolate them - because, let's face it, you KNOW when you are on tilt - you can feel it - you can feel the physical symptoms.

One approach you can use to deal with it is to actually say out loud "I feel I am on tilt. I can feel the anxious feeling in my chest and my shoulders tightening. I don't like this feeling. I don't want to feel this way. I want to feel relaxed and comfortable. I want to feel how I feel when I am playing correctly."

You'd be surprised how successful this technique is.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:57 AM

I can feel myself getting frustrated. When someone shows agression or plays back at me. I w/ auto reraise or be over agressive w/o any kind of thoughtful analysis. I expect to be beat, but yet I feel like I have to win back the stack that I lost (which I had been building all night, usually) before the end of the session.

I can feel myself losing focus, stop looking for reads or analysis. Then everything becomes a blur.

I know this is bad. I have gotten better at not going on tilt due to bad beats, by thinking in terms of macro or metagame terms. I.E. playing everyhand correctly and thinking in the long-term.

But that doesn't always work.