Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Just moved up to NL$25, am I playing scared?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($15.90)
CO ($25.85)
Button ($24.15)
SB ($47.65)
BB ($9.15)
UTG ($13.35)
UTG+1 ($7.50)
Hero ($24.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $1.15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($4) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($7) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($13) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $23

No reads on villain besides the fact that he's big stack at the table. I usually play very aggressive, betting and raising much more often than I call. Did I play this well or too passively?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Just moved up to NL$25, am I playing scared?

Not crazy about the preflop raise... it's kinda "ugh."
I don't dislike it either.

I'm probably raising the flop. He donkbet 1/3 of the pot into you, and that screams draw to me on this board. In addition, you've got 2 overs and a gutshot, although some of your outs may not be clean. I still like a 5$ flop raise.

I'm not really sure if I would fire another barrel on the turn if called on the flop. It would probably be based on whether or not I think he's drawing, and speed of his check on turn, and call on flop.

I think the turn is a raise for sure though.

Like the river call.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 PM

Don't raise KQo from middle position. Flop call is marginal... I'm not crazy about it, but I don't hate it either. Raise the turn to charge him incase he's drawing with a hand like QT or a flush draw. After he checks the river because of your turn raise, I'd 1/2 pot the river.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not crazy about the preflop raise... it's kinda "ugh."
I don't dislike it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It is very questionable. I usually limp KQ unless I'm in the CO or the button. Knew somebody would comment on that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 PM

I think raising preflop is fine. Flop call is ok too, if you don't know what to make of his lead (If you think it means weakness, raise, if you think it means strength, fold.) But what you absolutely must do is raise the turn. Not raising this turn is outragous. Check behind on the river.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 AM

I think I should have raised the turn also. At the time I was thinking JQ or KT from villain, and wanted to see a cheap showdown. In hindsight I was playing a little too weak. It actually worked out though, because this line extracted as much as I possibly could have. You'll see when I post the results.