Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 09-11-2004, 07:41 PM

Default My point of views on Bankroll, maybe its yet just another thread!

I think this will be the last of the bankroll debate threads (LOL wishful thinking I know). I think everyone who needs to know a bankroll requirement for the games are very new to the game. But what is the purpose of making a deposit into a site, start to make some $$$, recreational playing, learning, fun… this is just a start of the some of the reasons to put money into a site. Well, I think people who already know how to play and want to start making some $$$, they are going to make a substantial deposit. Others are going to put in about $100 or so to start playing.

Lets start with the recreational player that has a lot of money (not at the site, but in their bank account). He throws in a $100 and doesn’t care too much if he loses because he will throw more money into it. Well according to convention, 300 BB and 20 buyins for NL and PL games he can play 0.10/0.25 limit games and maybe a $5 buyin for a 0.05/0.10 NL game. But he doesn’t care about the money because he will deposit more if he is out. So why should he play these games? He shouldn’t. He plays for fun at 1 / 2 limit games and maybe a $25 buyin NL game. Great news for us right!

Then we have the serious player, but doesn’t want to invest a lot (maybe some do depositing thousands). This is where I see bankroll is critical. Let’s take the limited starting amount. The player deposits a $100 and wants to build it up from there. Good for The player, however, The player expectations must be set low because it will take a LONG time to build it up from there. But the benefits are learning the game.

So for a serious player, 300 BB I feel is the way to go for limit games. No limit and pot limit games I feel is a little on the low side. I think 20 buyin @ 100 BB per session (using the max UB format, not the Party 50 BB format) is not enough from a psychological side especially for a novice. Going to a 30 buyin rule is better. For a novice to start seriously playing and would like to start at No limit, learn at the penny tables (Max buy in of $2) or you can start at the 0.05/0.10 tables with a half buyin with $150 in your account.

So when it comes to bankroll there are two different camps: The ones who take it series and the ones that don’t. I fall in the serious side of the camp. I took the time to build the roll up from $40 to over $6,000 now. I paid my dues at the pennies then moved up to the dollar tables. I take pride in this accomplishment and I think that with the right mindset some people can do the same. I hope this sheds some light in the arena of bankroll requirements and I wish everyone good playing.

Big O
Old 09-11-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: My point of views on Bankroll, maybe its yet just another thread!

Very good post.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:54 PM

Nicely put, but not sure how this would be the last time a bankroll question came up, since 99% of what you state has been stated on 7214 other threads.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 09:49 PM

Yes I know there are a ton of post on this but I havent found the how you treat a rec. player and a serious one. I think the a new player coming into the arena has to be able to define what camp he falls in: Rec or Serious, Load it once or who cares... I think thats whats important.

Plus there was meant to be a little laughter in the title [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]