Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth and Math

Yeah, Hellmuth played brilliantly against, Todo, made some great laydowns and won the tournament....

Oh no, he folded the best hand a bunch of times, got short stacked and busted out with a weak hand, just like he always does.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh no, he folded the best hand a bunch of times, got short stacked and busted out with a weak hand, just like he always does.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I recall, on the hand that he busted out, he had top pair after the flop and Leonidas pushed all-in with second pair. He was a huge favorite, but got outdrawn.

Does Phil make too many laydowns? Perhaps, but I am sure it sets people up to push all-in with mediocre hands...like Leonidas did, and the guy with KJ did.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth may not be the best all around player but he is the best nolimit hold'em player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I start checking every hand in the dark everytime?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A math-type player would never be able to make that AK laydown against AA on that kind of board. The math type would just say, "Okay, I have AK and there's another Ace on the board and this will lower the chances that he has AA by so and so %, therefore, I call". The math type would have been broke at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, people that apply math well in poker also understand Bayes theorem. They don't think as simply as you outlined above. So despite all the obvious tell's the old guy was giving off a "math" player could have made a good decision on this hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I posted in the OTHER thread about this very hand....

The tells that the guy gave off were freaking OBVIOUS (and painful to watch actually).

The board was AQTT when the guy (who struck me as the kind of guy who is normally a passive player) bet $10k.

Phil is already behind AQ, KJ and any T (as well as QQ and AA).

There aren't a whole lot of hands that Phil beats that the guy would make such a large bet with (another AK maybe?? AJ or KK?? not likely).

Decent laydown?? Yes.
Great laydown?? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could lay it down, and im not remotely good - I certainly wouldnt need a read so concrete that the other guy basicly showed me his hand, thats for sure.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 PM

I don't remember if it was an all-in situation (just deleted it from TiVo) but earlier, during the period when he wouldn't shut up about how he was steaming, Phil was dominated (KT vs JT?) and caught his 3-outer. He didn't say a word about sucking out, donkey play, can't spell poker... nada.

And his wife is a Psychiatrist? Either she's the world's worst head shrinker, or he is truly beyond help. The guy is socially maladjusted, and she seems to enable him.