Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 AM

Default PP $22: top pair + flush draw vs. all in

Hi,

I'm fairly new here, been lurking for a while, this my first hand - please fel free to suggest posting improvements.

Re: Preflop limp by Hero - I use a mix of raises and limps with Suited connectors in that position. This one was a limp.

***** Hand History for Game 3198847554 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:18267245 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) -
Table Table 66976 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: MP1 ( $800 )
Seat 2: MP2( $725 )
Seat 3: MP3( $680 )
Seat 4: LP( $930 )
Seat 5: CO( $815 )
Seat 6: <font color="blue"> Hero </font> ( $1285 )
Seat 7: SB( $730 )
Seat 8: BB( $800 )
Seat 9: UTG( $720 )
Seat 10: UTG+1( $515 )
Trny:18267245 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to <font color="blue"> Hero </font> [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
UTG calls [15].
<font color="#666666"> 6 folds. </font>
<font color="blue"> Hero </font> calls [15].
SB calls [5].
BB checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
SB checks.
BB bets [45].
UTG calls [45].
<font color="blue"> Hero </font> raises [150].
SB folds.
BB calls [105].
UTG is all-In [660]
<font color="blue"> Hero </font> ???

Results below in white
<font color="white">
Hero calls
BB folds

** Dealing Turn ** [ 9c ]
** Dealing River ** [ Jd ]
Hero shows [ 9h, 8h ] two pairs, nines and eights.
UTG shows [ 8s, 8d ] three of a kind, eights.
UTG wins 1620 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, eights.
</font>
Old 12-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: PP $22: top pair + flush draw vs. all in

I think you're running into mostly sets and overpairs. Obviously 10 10 &gt; 99&gt;88. If it's worth it given a hand range that strong it's worth it. You're not out if you lose and there is some money in the pot. How many people are playing this hand in the first place?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:21 AM

Don't post the results...

Anyway I fold this, as you're still in a very good shape. UTGs pattern of calling BB and then raising after your raise and BB's call indicates to me, either a slowplayed set or a higher flush draw semi-bluff... either way I don't see you being ahead enough and it's just not worth the risk.

I also fold PF, I want at least another limper ahead to consider getting involved. And raising sucks IMO.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 AM

I would have actually folded preflop. I would never raise. I would call if there had been more limpers. On the flop, I like just flat calling to see the turn. The way it played out, you could have anywhere from 0-14 outs. But probably somewhere close to 8 or 9. And you are getting 2-1 odds. It's close. In the heat of the moment, I'd probably call.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:06 PM

I'd also fold preflop.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:21 PM

Preflop there aren't enough limpers to give you any decent amount of implied odds to play a suited connector. Either raise to steal the pot, which isn't likely to happen, or fold. I'm folding here.

I don't like the flop raise. This is one of those situations where you're either way ahead with TP or you're way behind to a set or overpair. If you are behind you have a good number of outs here. A thinking villain that knows he's ahead here would be smart to just call your raise and let you hang yourself for the rest of the hand. I would just call and re-evalutate on the turn. The fear of being put all-in by the short stack here after your raise is the exact reason why I prefer to call on the flop and see the next card. You don't want to be pushed off of your hand here and you also don't want to commit to playing a large pot when you aren't sure where you are at in the hand.

If it's any consolation you were going to lose this hand regardless. A call on the flop would have revealed top 2 pair for you on the turn, something you surely couldn't get away from.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM

Here's some additional food for thought. I had to call t555 to the pot of t1230 (2.22 to 1). My hand agaist a set was 30/70 dog (2.33 to 1), about 50/50 against an overpair and a favorite against a bigger flush draw.

If I was POSITIVE the villain had a set - then it's a marginal call at best. However if we consider the range of 22, 33, 88, overpairs + better flush draw - not to mention a possibility that he saw my raise from the button as a steal attempt on a nondescript flop and just bluffed - wouldn't it make the call correct against an opponent on who I have no reads otherwise?