Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 03:29 PM

Default I told you!!!!!!! The cure for paralysis is here.

Some of you laughed at me when I said stem cells are on the verge of curing paralysis. You said private industry would be all over it if it could happen and there is no need for federal funding. Well look who is laughing now. Private industry didn't have a part of it, it was a University professor in Korea which was recieving federal funding!!!!! Private industry sucks when it comes to novel innovation. They simply don't like taking chances with the unknown.

Amazingly enough it was done with umbilical cord stem cells and not the omnipotent fetal stem cells. This area is also starved for funds in the US. Korea beat us to it, can you believe that?!?!!!

http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.ph...7-121143-6745r
Chosun University professor Song Chang-hun, Seoul National University professor Kang Kyung-sun, and Han Hoon from the Seoul Cord Blood Bank said they transplanted multi-potent stem cells from umbilical cord blood into the 37-year-old female patient who suffered from a spinal cord injury, the Korea Times reported Saturday.

The woman could now walk unassisted, the scientists said.

"The stem cell transplantation was performed on Oct. 12 this year and in just three weeks she started to walk with the help of a walker," Song told reporters at a news conference in Seoul.

http://smh.com.au/news/World/Stem-ce...577355824.html
Old 11-29-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: I told you!!!!!!! The cure for paralysis is here.

If this is true and reliable why hasn't there been any main stream coverage in the US?

I hope its true but I doubt it.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:37 PM

All in good time little grasshopper. You will see it soon enough. You may not see it in mainstream news until the results become easily reproducible. Still, a major barrier has been broken.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=16914
Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazingly enough it was done with umbilical cord stem cells and not the omnipotent fetal stem cells. This area is also starved for funds in the US. Korea beat us to it, can you believe that?!?!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Embryonic stems cells tend to cause tumors.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of you laughed at me when I said stem cells are on the verge of curing paralysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

After 19 years of paralysis would not her muscles completely atrophied. I don't doubt she has shown some improvement, but I suspect she isn't walking unassisted.

Stu
Old 11-30-2004, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

After 19 years of paralysis would not her muscles completely atrophied. I don't doubt she has shown some improvement, but I suspect she isn't walking unassisted.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be carefull with those words. Unassisted by what? Humans, crutches, walkers? And how long can she walk? She's had 4 weeks of walking so the question is, is that enough time to build up enough muscle to walk 10 feet without any assistance? Maybe not, but stranger things have happened.

Then again, who cares, she has movement in her legs and in time it will only get better!
Old 11-30-2004, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is true and reliable why hasn't there been any main stream coverage in the US?

I hope its true but I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like ABC australia is covering it. I wonder why the US is so slow to catch on?!?!?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1253284.htm
Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 PM

YEah, and cold fusion has been perfected too, only the energy companies bought the rights to it and buried it.

Let's hope it's true, and the US was funding stem cell research.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YEah, and cold fusion has been perfected too, only the energy companies bought the rights to it and buried it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice attitude.....

I said in the past they are on the verge of a cure. They have it in rats and other mammals and it's only a matter of time before we get it in humans. The cross species barriers for stem cells are not like those in cancer. I posted these a long time ago and said it was right around the corner. Rats, and other mammals have had excellent results with these techniques.

Watch this movie
http://www.pnas.org/content/vol0/iss...6788Movie1.mov

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/5/3024

[ QUOTE ]
Let's hope it's true, and the US was funding stem cell research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does. I never said it didn't get any. H.R. 2096/S allocated $30 million for the research, which isn't a whole lot considering the massive rewards. Link at bottom.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. They are getting funds now!

750 million from the state of Wisconsin.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6515491/

300 million from California
http://www.fosters.com/november_2004..._11.14.04d.asp

NIH is about to pump a whole lot more!

This was the info I was going on in the past:

http://stemcells.nih.gov/research/funding/
H.R. 2096/S. 1349—Responsible Stem Cell Research Act of 2001
The bills would have authorized appropriations of $30 million for FY 2002 and such sums as may be necessary for each of the FYs 2003 through 2006 for NIH to conduct and support research using qualifying human stem cells.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:35 AM

Note that this putative cure is NOT the result of embryonic stem cell research. All the Bush bashing over embryonic stem cell research is misplaced (not to mention there are 23(?) lines still available for use with funding).

Private industry sucks when it comes to novel innovation. They simply don't like taking chances with the unknown.

Please tell me you're joking.

natedogg
Old 12-02-2004, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Private industry sucks when it comes to novel innovation. They simply don't like taking chances with the unknown.

Please tell me you're joking.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of..... There are a few exceptions like IBM and Intel. When it comes to medicine private industry does have major problems. They simply won't invest in researching a drug unless there is a minimum market for 1 billion american dollars. Simple cures/prevention are overlooked and only expensive treatments are usually explored.

If you don't believe me look at all of the major breakthroughs lately. The paralysis cure, HIV vaccine, eye implants for the blind, transparent aluminum, artificial spider silk, are all university innovations that have occured this year. Compare the amount of novel, and I am being very specific when I say novel, innovation in university/grant funded vs. private industry and you will see university/grant funded comes out way ahead. Private industry does have it's use, they are unbeatable at coming up with cheap answers quickly in the technology field. (These answers aren't always the best) But the king of novel innovation is always a non profit organisation. Just look at NASA.

There are exceptions to this rule of course. 3M, Dupont, IBM, and Intel are very good at what they do. Some areas, particularly medical, private interest does not always line up with the public interest.

Private industry is very good at comming up with answers if the projected profits are high enough and the answer is close enough to reach.