Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:50 AM

Default speeding after racing games/movies, etc...

I am now a more dangerous driver then when I was drinking and driving. (no, this isn't about Weed - I've never smoked and driven)

I've spent the last several weeks without booze and playing Forza Motorsports on the 55" HDTV, which is a lot like being in the car with a rear view mirror even. This is THE premier Xbox racing game - exacting in it's realism and it's cars. (that's how I learned TT drove one of the ultimate pimpmobiles - unless you take a Honda CRX and pimp it out itself, it's almost unbeatable.)

Tonight I run to the CD store and immediately I take a right turn WAY too fast. I am having to REALLY watch myself to keep under the speed limit, and I had to make DAMN sure I didn't run a stoplight on the mile run to the CD store.

The only thing I can compare it to is the way idiots drive after watching a movie like Days of Thunder, but being in the driver's seat as well...

I think when I quit this game I'm gonna buy a faster car. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - Maybe I'll get my own Audi TT.

Is this just another self-delusional experience or has anyone else had a period of adjustment after certain forms of Racing...either in games, movies, or live track - I don't know...

RB
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: speeding after racing games/movies, etc...

every time after visiting a go-kart track with friends, if i drive a car immediately after, i drive terribly.

fast go-karts are sweet.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:06 AM

I have a coworker who is trying to get his little daughter into that - I think he wants her to be the next Danica Patrick. He's gonna buy her one of those racing go-carts, get a trailer, and haul around to those events when she gets older.

Hey - whatever they both like - better then telling her that her only fulfillment in life is to get married, get knocked up, and stay barefoot in the kitchen like some religious kook.

RB
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM

I've been spending a lot of time on PS2's NASCAR game.

I don't find myself speeding, but tailgating has been a problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 08:17 AM

I know how you feel. Every time I see a zombie movie, I want to eat corpses.

Seriously, your story is funny but it does sound a little nutty. Remember crashing in real life is a hell of a lot worse than doing it in a video game.

I've really liked a driving game or two in my time, also. Driving fast is just damn fun, and the games can really hype you up and keep you on edge. But guys too often bring the worst things to the road -- aggression and arrogance and a sense of something almost like entitlement. The vid game sounds like it might not be helping you out.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 AM

luckily there's only so much damage I can do in a Ford Ranger, esp. in winter -

That'll help a lot - I always slow WAY down and get paranoid when winter starts dumping snow on the road.

RB
Old 11-23-2005, 08:29 AM

I hope you dont play first person shooters.

I love racing games. But I dont find it difficult to seperate myself from the game and real life driving. I usually drive fast anyway, but running a red light or taking a corner at 60mph is definatly an ingame experience only.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:38 AM

i acted the same way when i was addicted to the new grand theft auto game a few months back or whenever it was that it came out.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:24 AM

December 24, 2004 - I get stopped doing 93mph (in a 65mph) on the interstate after spending the afternoon playing PGR2. The TVR Rocks!!!

Merry F#$^#ing Christmas!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 AM

this is a [censored] story and you know it.

Everyone knows WI state troopers don't pull over WI residents - even for 90 mph - but if you're 3 mph over the speed limit with MN plates you're boned.

My friend from Athens, GA got a tkt. and I told him "bro, you do NOT wanna have out of state plates when speeding thru WI" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB