Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Bill O\'Reilly

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't thing Stewart had a political agenda, then you are in idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you are equating opinion with agenda. if you are a voting (or non-voting) american, and your name is jon stewart, and you don't have a political opinion, you are an idiot. i would agree with that. i expect most people have opinions, which they sometimes argue, and hence giving the impression of agenda to their audience.

[ QUOTE ]
It has nothing to do with "counting jokes"

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your reason to thinking he has an agenda then? he is not undermining either party by pointing out fairly hillarious aspects of current political events.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason FoxNews viewers score the absolute worst in surveys on public knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a source, or is this one of those "it's ok to make up facts because it supports the liberal media agenda" things?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you actually challenging someone to provide a random sample of 10 FoxNews viewers and a random sample of 10 NPR viewers and quizzing them on current political events? are you actually arguing that the NPR viewers would do worse?

or perhaps you are arguing that Comedy Central viewers are douches who don't get the real story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why NPR? Why not Loveline listeners?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason FoxNews viewers score the absolute worst in surveys on public knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a source, or is this one of those "it's ok to make up facts because it supports the liberal media agenda" things?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you actually challenging someone to provide a random sample of 10 FoxNews viewers and a random sample of 10 NPR viewers and quizzing them on current political events? are you actually arguing that the NPR viewers would do worse?

or perhaps you are arguing that Comedy Central viewers are douches who don't get the real story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why NPR? Why not Loveline listeners?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. i fold.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can start here. Page 15 (of the pdf) has some interesting graphics.

Here's a quote from page 14 (of the pdf) introducing the graphics.
[ QUOTE ]
The table below shows this clearly. Listed are the breakouts of the sample according to the frequency of the three key misperceptions (i.e. the beliefs that evidence of links between Iraq and al-Qaeda have been found, that WMD have been found in Iraq and that world public opinion approved of the US going to war with Iraq) and their primary news source. Fox News watchers were most likely to hold misperceptions—and were more than twice as likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The table below shows this clearly. Listed are the breakouts of the sample according to the frequency of the three key misperceptions (i.e. the beliefs that evidence of links between Iraq and al-Qaeda have been found, that WMD have been found in Iraq and that world public opinion approved of the US going to war with Iraq) and their primary news source. Fox News watchers were most likely to hold misperceptions—and were more than twice as likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your evidence that fox news viewers are less knowledgeable is based on one survey conducted on one issue 2 years ago? Good job.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to ask you to stop attributing opinions to be that I haven't stated.

Where did it seem like I implied I though Comedy Central viewers were douches? In your warped mind, because I support FNC viewers then I must be against some other network's viewrs that's not even related?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it be any wronger (more wrong?) to argue that the NPR viewers would do worse than to argue the fox news viewers would do worse? I don't know who would come ahead in that survey and neither do you. Besides, 10 people is cetainly an issufcient sample size.

Oh, and I'm totally shocked that Comedy Central's own research showed it's viewers are smart. Very convincing.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your evidence that fox news viewers are less knowledgeable is based on one survey conducted on one issue 2 years ago? Good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a pretty big issue.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. I am defending fox news viewers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish you defended them by plugging them off fox news. that's what i would do.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I'm totally shocked that Comedy Central's own research showed it's viewers are smart. Very convincing.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i didn't see that one coming. in retrospect, comedy central really was trying to appear smarter. i didn't even know that comedy central had its own research department, conveniently called 'Nielsen Media Research', in order to appear impartial.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to ask you to stop attributing opinions to be that I haven't stated.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your opinion? you are clearly slamming jon stewart for being a bigger douche. although he is an admitedly-hillarious comedian who is good at his job (making jokes), as opposed to a pundit who is bad at his job (informing people of current events) since his viewers (and viewers of that network) are less educated and more misinformed (at least were misinformed two years ago).
Old 10-19-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But at the same time, is usually pretty smart on his subjects. Obviously it isn't just him, he has to have a terrific research team that helps him know what he does. But, his facts are usually pretty well right, his opinions and arguments are based on evidence, and he does a good job (though loud and arrogant) of destroying other people's fallacies.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat untrue and frankly disappointing to read. Let me clear on this point, this isn't a matter of political disposition, this is a matter of fact. Saying the O'Reilly's arguments are sound and based on reliable evidence is factually incorrect.

O' Reilly constantly lies, makes arguments that have no basis in logic and is notorious for getting the facts wrong. He often (very often!) simply makes things up on his show if he thinks they will help his cause.

Also, his arguments are full of logical fallacies (most obviously of the ad hominem and poisoning the well variety, but many other ones as well). If I were a getting a masters in philosophy, I could easily write a thesis just on logical fallacies in one month of 'The Factor'.

This report from CBC (can watch in whole online), contains some "classic" O'Reilly. My favorite moment is when he not only makes up a statistic which is false, he also makes up a non-existent publication and names it as the source.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't thing Stewart had a political agenda, then you are in idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you are equating opinion with agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. What is it that you think Stewart is attempting to accomplish in regards to politics?