Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 06-29-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Off-suit aces: how low do you go?

I've set myself a bar of AJo in early position and A9o in late position for full-table play. And pretty much any Ax if I can check in the BB.

What do you do? How low will you play an A?o, and in which positions?
Old 06-29-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Off-suit aces: how low do you go?

[ QUOTE ]
And pretty much any Ax if I can check in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go down to 27o if I can check in the BB, but that's just me.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:28 PM

For weak aces, it really depends on whether you have limpers in front of you. I will open raise A2o in the SB and sometimes on the button, depending on opponents. If I have a limper in front, pretty much anything worse than A8o or A9o goes in the muck, even in late position. I will complete a 1/2 or better SB with just about any Axo with one limper. If you're opening, the chance of stealing or getting heads up with on over-defending blind makes even the weakest kickers playable.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:14 PM

When playing these hands, you might want to ask yourself "what kind of flop do I want to see with these cards?"

Limping with AJo in EP is a dangerous proposition. You might want to muck this hand in EP and raise your playing requirements to AQo in EP and don't be afraid to raise with it about half the time. A9 in LP can also be tricky and is probably -EV since it has no three straight or flush possibilities. You need to make TPTK or two pair to win with this hand. Hitting top pair may make you a loser if the nine falls 'cause of possible overcards. Hitting Ace sucks for you because of the possibility of someone limping ahead of you with AT or AJ. Hitting two pair is like a 49:1 proposition. IMO, you're almost better off going for suited wheel hands (A2-A5)than playing A9o because you add the str8/fl possibilities if rags fall.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:34 PM

Ill go any A x suited in late position but I muck A 9 off, etc.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:38 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

EP: AJ
MP: AT
CO: A9
Old 06-29-2004, 05:08 PM

For those who play AJo in early position, what percentage of the time are you raising with it? This is one of those hands/positions when i claim to be mixing up my play because i am not really sure how i like to play it. It seems like raising with it is mostly going to push out hands that you already have beat, but limping feels so...dirty. Just curious.

peace

john nickle
Old 06-29-2004, 05:13 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

100%
Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 PM

A9o in any position will just bring you trouble. Don't bother with it, muck any ace worse than ATs.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:16 AM

If the card gods are with you you can use an ace -rag,, any ace with a crappy kicker, but for the most point should be checked with a raise in mind ,early if it goes to the str8!otherwise just call and hope the table lets you in for cheap!! lol good luck [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]