Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Steelers vs Vikings

I think it is better to call the PA on 2nd than third down, and if they hadn't screwed up the snap on 3rd, maybe it would have opened it up a little more.

I agree that running Bettis 3 times up the middle is never a bad idea, but I don't think that the play call was terrible.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 PM

I suppose I can see your point, but (and this is a moot point now) would you be screaming as loudly if they ran on 2nd and 3rd down, and got stuffed like they did to the Vikes? Just tryin to understand your thinking...
Old 12-18-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I can see your point, but (and this is a moot point now) would you be screaming as loudly if they ran on 2nd and 3rd down, and got stuffed like they did to the Vikes? Just tryin to understand your thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, because the Steelers live & die by the run. They die, when they try to get "cute". There's no reason to get "cute" when it is not needed, and in that situation, it wasn't needed.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So how would you do things differently? Not trying to stir up junk, but I am honestly curious. I'm a big steeler fan as well, but I'm not as down on Cowher as you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried describing it in my first post on this thread but maybe I wasn't clear.

1st and goal from the 8 - 6 yard run by Bettis
2nd and goal from the 2 - PA pass?!?!

Are you serious? Why even have Bettis on the team if on 1st down he runs for 6 and you don't give him the ball on 2nd down?

Everything eventually goes thru Cowher so I don't buy the "he doesn't call the plays" stuff.

This same mistake was repeated later in the game. He never learns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iggy,

I watched the entire game except for that first drive
(first bar I tried was closed so had to go to a backup) so I didn't see the actual series being discussed. However, in this situations I like sometimes calling play action there. It's fairly likely to be successful because the other team is expecting a run. Calling a PA pass sometimes in that spot will also force the other team to play the pass a bit more making the run more likely to be successful. Finally, and this is where I disagree with Cowher and most NFL coaches, if you make an incomplete pass you can give it to Bus two more times.

Given that Cowher wouldn't go for it on fourth down unless it's very short, I would prefer two runs in that spot as well.

What actually happened? I saw Big Ben fumble a snap was that on second or third? I'm assuming the pass was incomplete and 3rd down was fumbled. Either way I think sometimes calling PA and sometimes running is good, going for it on fourth down if it's less than 3 in either case.

Also, if we're giving him the blame, I think Cowher did really well on several calls later in the game when we were ahead and some nice pass plays worked with the defense clearly pushing up to stop the run. I also thought the switching between Bettis and Parker was done well this game, sometimes I wonder feel like the wrong guy is out there but this game that went well.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:50 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a PA pass, but not after Bettis runs for 6 yards on first down and not in the beginning of the game when you're trying to setup that you're going to pound the ball all damn day. It's about setting a tone in the game. To me, that's the Steelers saying they don't think they can pound 2 yards out of the Vikings. If you ask every NFL team, I'd be willing to bet they'd all rather see the Steelers pass on down & goals than run the ball with Bettis. Teams FEAR Bettis & the Steelers running game close to the endzone.

What happened was Minne got pressure, Ben rolled out and was almost picked off trying to throw across his body. 3rd down was the fumbled snap and they kicked the FG.

The other down & goal situation was Bettis on 3 consecutive runs gets a first down and it's first and goal from the 4. The Steelers then run a trap on first down (and I may add a HORRIBLE call to ever run a trap with Bettis). He was stopped for no gain, which then led to a 3 step drop pass all the way on second down, to which Ben rolled out and scored.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 PM

Iggy,

In terms of what might or might not be a big mistake, the PA Pass is not exactly an egregious error. You've got a great passing game with big targets like Hines and Heath Miller.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Iggy,

In terms of what might or might not be a big mistake, the PA Pass is not exactly an egregious error. You've got a great passing game with big targets like Hines and Heath Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing what I'm saying. The Steelers come off of a game where they completely destroyed one of the best defenses in the league from constant pounding of the ball. They got back to "Steelers Football", something they were missing during that 3-game slide.

All week you hear about how they're going to pound the ball against Minnesota like they did Chicago. There's nothing more demoralizing to a defense than when they know you're running, yet they can't stop you because you just keep pounding them with it. This is Steelers football.

Steelers football is not calling a PA pass on 2nd and goal in the beginning of a game. There's nothing demoralizing there, there's no pounding. That's not Steelers football. When they lose their identity, they lose games.