Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-16-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Heavy turn aggression with Aces Up

[ QUOTE ]
and it's still a bad open raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I'm not the greatest at short-handed (which is ironic as unfilled full-ring games are where I make most my moolah), but this seems at least borderline if not outright acceptable.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:57 AM

I think the preflop raise is somewhat fine. I don't normally do it tho but under certain circumstances I think it's fine. Can't comment on this particular raise since I wasnt there. Meh.

Anyway, you must play this real careful since you got 3-bet preflop and c/r on the flop. I doubt that 7 helped us, I think it surely made it worse for us since it's now harder to fold this hand but I fold it on the turn anyway. I may aswell fold on the flop here knowing im drawing pretty thin if not dead. From the turn and on, it's just spewing, I can't see we are ahead of something and if you want to go to showdown, just call it down which even that is bad since he has shown great strenght.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:43 AM

I dont believe open raising from MP with that hand is a mistake. The difference between open limping and open raising with that hand when youre first in from MP is minimal at best. I agree completely with Eeegah on this. Ed Miller also states in SSH that if youre the first to enter the pot from MP then you should often raise with hands that you would normally limp with and A7s suited definitely qualifies as one of those hands.

However, I do see two problems with the way you played this hand:

a) You should have folded preflop after it got raised and re-raised behind you. Some people justify a call by saying "well, what if I flop a flush draw". However, youll flop top pair more often than youll flop a flush draw and your top pair will be second best more often then not so for me this is an auto fold. Im surprised that so many people are critical of the open raise but only one other person mentioned that not folding preflop was a mistake.

b) afterer the BB raised your bet on the flop you should have re-raised. The pot is already quite large and you should try and eliminate as many competitors as possible. Forcing the SB and the CO to call two more bets cold you may be able to induce one or even both of them to fold. Moreover, since you do have top pair and a backdoor flush draw you might as well cap for value at this point.

On the turn it looks as if you may be behind but I probably would have played it the same. The pot is huge at this point and its not time to start thinking about saving bets.....reducing your competition and incrasing your pot equity is a priority at this point. Unfortunately you were not able to incude the SB or the CO to fold to a second double size turn bet, but many times this will be the case so I dont think youre capping the turn was a bad move like many people seem to think. Youre kind of in a fix at this point since youre most likely behind to the BB, but these are the perils you face when you call with a medium suited ace after its raised and re-raised behind you. Youre already too heavily involved in the hand and the pot is huge....dont downshift just because you may be behind.....do whatever you can you can to increase your chances of winning.

-Mike
Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 AM

grunch

pre-flop : i wouldn't raise here, i'd limp if the table is passive.

flop : i don't think your kicker is good enough to lead here.

turn : i think turn is okay, the seven helped, but AQ is a danger. i'd just call the 3-bet. i think you got all the information you need from his re-raise.

river : when he bets out regardless of your aggression he's probably got the goods. i'd call down.

i'd be surprised if he had just one pair, i'd put him on aq or a set. don't know about the calling stations. you get a lot of new players at this lvl so maybe i'm giving too mych credit.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah this hand is major spew.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 09:30 AM

You guys pretty much confirmed my own diagnosis of overaggression and tunnel-vision after the 3-bet on the turn.

I was iffy on the preflop raise as well. I've been open-raising more often with suited aces, but I'm still working on decided precisely where the cutoff is. If I had read the rest of the PF action properly and gotten away from it, I think it would have been fine.

BB showed QQ and MHING.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 AM

:grunch:

I think you are a little loose with the preflop raise. Flop looks good. I like the turn raise, and I don't mind the cap, but I'm starting to get suspicious of BB.

BB cold-called 3 bets preflop. If he is loose maybe AQs or he's going crazy with AKs, but I think he has big pockets and hit his set. That said, I would call his reraise on the river, not cap.

WTH is CO doing there?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:57 AM

CO showed down 66 for the smaller set.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM

I'd just call down after you get 3bet on the turn. I expected SB to checkraise the flop, but it's BB, who cold-called two out of the BB. I think you're looking at a set here, maybe top two.