Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 PM

Default courtesy

my roommate and I had a disagreement recently. I tend to not bother with "please"'s when I'm asking for a favor, or asking him to turn his music down, or asking him to do the dishes. I generally don't see the difference between "dude, I'm trying to sleep" and "dude, I'm trying to sleep, could you please turn your music down?" and the first is a lot easier to say.

however, I (almost) always say thank you when he's done the dishes, or has turned the music down, or has done me a favor. personally I feel like it's less important to be polite in making a request, because it's up to him whether he wants to do the favor or not. once he's done it, of course I'll be grateful.

thoughts? apologies if this has been done already.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: courtesy

I don't say please in these situations either, but only because I want to make it clear I'm not asking.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 PM

Always please, always thankyou. Manners maketh the man (er, not you specifically, OP).
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 PM

If "please" greatly enhances the probability that you get what you have requested, it seems a no-brainer. This doesn't mean it makes sense, but I have discovered that getting what I want is now more important than, the world and other people, making sense.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If "please" greatly enhances the probability that you get what you have requested, it seems a no-brainer. This doesn't mean it makes sense, but I have discovered that getting what I want is now more important than, the world and other people, making sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incredible wisdom.

man, your thread has elicited the smartest comment in a long time, seriously.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 PM

I don't think there can ever be too much courtesy--it just helps to keep the world a slightly more pleasant place.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah this is the way I'd look at it in like a professional setting. but as far as asking something of your roommate/best friend (I should've made that part clear), I kind of like to have a dynamic where both people help the other when they can, rather than something that's more like a favors system. the way I see it I'm just informing him that I need something, and it's up to him if he wants to do it.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always please, always thankyou. Manners maketh the man (er, not you specifically, OP).

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah I dunno, I really disagree with that. just because you spend a little extra breath doesn't make you a more considerate person.

and I've also really wanted to change my username for about 470 posts. who do I talk to about that, Mat?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Ask astroglide or [censored] first, I think.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there can ever be too much courtesy--it just helps to keep the world a slightly more pleasant place.

[/ QUOTE ]