Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: $10/20 stud high fiasco

Ray,
Any chance you want to play in our little tourney on Sun? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ante is cheap. fold on third unless they play way too loose.

4th maybe check. they both caught good.

5th defintely check. and you could get away from the hand if you had checked on 4th. if someone bets.

since you got to 6th. its all player dependent on what to do here. even a raise to knock out kings up from the first player and hope the other guy has smaller two pair. of course you would look like a fool when they show a flush and a straight. but it may be the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm confused. Five handed on party I'm not folding this. Maybe if I knew the players in question I could, but overall this needs to get 3-bet in this game. We simply have a "half decent regular" raising into duplicate queens and two low cards, then an unknown raising. I play everything the same way as Andy. Hell, I might have even bet sixth. Ray, who would be folding kings up here for a raise on sixth? I would estimate that might just work 0% of the time.

Mike Emery
Old 12-10-2005, 10:14 PM

Andy, I play it pretty much the same way. Folding 3rd in this spot is insane.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Andy- this is a tough but correct fold on 3rd.

-The 3rd St. Police

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. there was a raise and reraise before hero
2. the dead queen
3. small pot
Old 12-11-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Andy- this is a tough but correct fold on 3rd.

-The 3rd St. Police

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you hoping these people are raising with? I realize it's 5-handed, but still. Even if the J has a pair of jacks, and the Q has a 3-flush, your equity still isn't that much about average. If you both have queens or one of them has a big pair in the hole, you are have an equity deficit. Basically, best-case scenario isn't all that great and worst-case scenario sucks. As Ray mentioned, in this low-ante structure, this hand should be mucked on third street without much further thought.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think I have the best hand? Do you think I am getting anyone to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it’s more likely you have the best hand then it was on 5th, for instance.
The only way that 9c helped seat 1 is if he has the case 9, the case queens or two of the six remaining clubs in the hole. He should have, and probably would have, raised you with kings up on 5th or with jacks up on 4th. Thus, I think you are ahead of him most of the time.
The 7h seat 3 just caught doesn’t look that scary either. It is unlikely that he has a flush, since you have the Qh.
Also, you have seat 3 out-kicked now.
So I think you should bet for value here.

Btw, I agree with blumpkin and Ray that this should be folded on 3rd.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:18 AM

since you got to 6th. its all player dependent on what to do here. on the river even a raise to knock out kings up from the first player and hope the other guy has smaller two pair. of course you would look like a fool when they show a flush and a straight. but it may be the best play.

the last paragraph of my above post should be changed to reflect that i meant to knock out kings up on the river not sixth street. sorry that i didnt proof read it first..
Old 12-11-2005, 11:56 AM

The part I hate most about your hand is the fact that your kicker is so low and its not suited. You are likely facing queens on 3rd with a higher kicker. if you can't fold on third comfortably then folding 5th I think is a good option as fifth your hand is getting significantly worse, if the reraiser has queens and now seat 1 had a king...It's a tough spot but I might fold fifth. I definitely do not three bet this hand on 3rd and might even fold it. I want to manage the pot size if I think I need to call two bets cold and find a way to get it heads up with the other "queens" at a later street if it becomes possible or make my next decision by fifth.

In other words, if I think I can't get away from the hand on 3rd I smooth call two bets cold. Let the queens lead fourth and decide whether to pop it on fifth if the queens lead again, making it most expensive for the "j" two call two bets cold and keeping the spot size smaller.