Old 12-08-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Red Sox pay $11 million to rid themselves of Edgar Renteria

[ QUOTE ]

well whatver is going on over there, its working

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 AM

This is a GREAT deal for the Braves. I am going to make the insanely bold prediction that the Braves pick up the $11M option on Reneria in 2009 when he is all of 33 years old!

Renteria at $6M per year will be one of the best bargains amongst vereran players over the next three years. This fills a pretty big hole for the Braves without really hurting themselves in the near future, despite giving up a top flight prospect.

This was a terrible move by the Red Sox. One bad year and let's just throw Renteria in the crap heap. Not only do they create a huge hole for themselves, but they PAY money to create that hole. While Marte is a very good prospect, let's not put him in the All Star game just yet. Much better prospects have been total flops. As the rosters stand, I would not expect Marte to be the starting 3B in Boston.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One bad year and let's just throw Renteria in the crap heap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Renteria's 2005 was in-line with his 2004 and his career numbers overall.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One bad year and let's just throw Renteria in the crap heap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Renteria's 2005 was in-line with his 2004 and his career numbers overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, because I don't see any 30 error seasons on his resume? Let's count the number of times he stole less than 10 bases in his career? And while his OPS+ was 91 compared to his carrer OPS+ of 95, players at his age are supposed to be in thier prime. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that his OPS+ expectaion is over 100. Also, the 11 point drop in batting average from 2004 to 2005 (despite moving to a good park for average) and 22 extra K's are significant, even with the same OPS. I have also heard that he did not display as much range at short as normal.

And besides, a veteran shortstop with an OPS+ of 95+, good speed, and good defense, is a pretty valuble commodity. Probably worth $10M per year.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:24 AM

Let's see, the one thing you brought up that was actually relevant at all was... his errors. His stolen bases are trivial because he doesn't steal them at a high rate. His batting average and strikeouts are piss-poor measures of value, and they absolutely aren't significant, especially since we know his OBP and SLG.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:54 AM

I agree, by themselves average and strikeouts are very poor measures of value. But, if two players have the exact same OBP and SLG in the exact same environment, the player who hits for a higher average is a much more valuble commodity. If they hit for the same average, the player who strikes out less will be more valuble. So they are important, and certianly not irrelevant.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really, because I don't see any 30 error seasons on his resume?

[/ QUOTE ]

since 1999, he's had other seasons of 27, 26, and 24 errors as well
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM

But, if two players have the exact same OBP and SLG in the exact same environment, the player who hits for a higher average is a much more valuble commodity.

in the past, sure. however, going forward a player who draws his OBP value from walks should maintain his value for longer.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a GREAT deal for the Braves. I am going to make the insanely bold prediction that the Braves pick up the $11M option on Reneria in 2009 when he is all of 33 years old!

Renteria at $6M per year will be one of the best bargains amongst vereran players over the next three years. This fills a pretty big hole for the Braves without really hurting themselves in the near future, despite giving up a top flight prospect.

This was a terrible move by the Red Sox. One bad year and let's just throw Renteria in the crap heap. Not only do they create a huge hole for themselves, but they PAY money to create that hole. While Marte is a very good prospect, let's not put him in the All Star game just yet. Much better prospects have been total flops. As the rosters stand, I would not expect Marte to be the starting 3B in Boston.

[/ QUOTE ]

huge hole? have you seen the starting SS for the last few WS champs?

this is a good deal for both sides. the braves get value on renteria while the red sox get the NUMBER ONE prospect accoding to baseball prospectus. the braves could not get him into the starting lineup becuase of jones, yet the red sox have no such problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huge hole? have you seen the starting SS for the last few WS champs?

this is a good deal for both sides. the braves get value on renteria while the red sox get the NUMBER ONE prospect accoding to baseball prospectus. the braves could not get him into the starting lineup becuase of jones, yet the red sox have no such problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider going from Edgar Renteria to Alex Cora as your starting shortstop creating a huge hole.

Now Marte is blocked by Mike Lowell. Have fun with that Boston fans.