Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-29-2005, 12:38 AM

Default i run bad (with a difference)

I'm running bad today, and you know what? Its NOT variance. I've been making quite a few poor decisions.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: i run bad (with a difference)

isn't that called playing bad?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 AM

It's good that you can admit this to yourself. Fix that ish.

Don't beat yourself up for the bad decisions either. I tend to do that. Figure out why you are making them, and what you have to do to not make them in the future. usually the answer for me is focus.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 AM

Before it goes on for too long, what kind of bad decisions are you making?

1. Chip/pot odds
2. Pushing/Calling range
3. Table image
4. Raise/Fold decisions
5. Position mistakes

Perhaps it's a combination, but me thinks that you could zero in on one of them as a primary area to think about. Your mind will fill in the blanks and correct the other errors without even thinking about it.

Here's to better Limpin' days! Slacker
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 AM

oh, lol. no no no, i wasnt saying i have issues or anything.

Its just i've seen about 325265362 "i run bad" posts, and they all claim to be playing well, unlucky, etc.

I just thought its about time someone owned up to (gasp) deservidly dropping a few buyins. SO this post was more about making a post that is never made.

THanks for the support though. I was -4BI after 3 sets, then just played one since i posted this...now i'm +2BI [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 01:33 AM

SPecifically:

-once i beat a guy to the pot p/f on bubble with A3 in my BB when he pushed from SB (wtf i thinking?)

-one i layed a big hand when the shorty was already allin

-And one i made a bet to find out where i wa at, he told me, and i paid him anyways out of spite (i had 3 outs)

i'm sure there were more, but those are what i remember. I make ba plays every set, just today i was making more reggie plays than normal.

Whats important is that i KNOW what the correct play was/is, and i'll usually make it. just a few brain freezes
Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 AM

horrible things i've done recently:

- bubble, i'm a medium stack as button=88. utg is another medium stack and went all-in. he has me out chipped by 100. short stack sb has 2bb left after posting. bb is big stack. notes say utg is a horrible player and will push with any pair, ax, KXs and any 2 face cards. i call. he has a6o and spikes his ace. WTF am i doing calling when sb has 2bb left?! (sngpt says it was -EV to call.)

- 5 handed, blinds 100/200. i'm the #2 stack with 3k chips. folded to me as button w/A3o. bigstack is sb w/3.5k, bb is a solid player w/2k chips. i raise 2.5bb. sb folds, bb goes all in. i call. he had kq and doesnt improve. i got lucky, but i think calling was horrible on my part, given the read.

- 6 handed, i have 2k chips at 50/100 blinds. i raise 2.5bb with jqs. bb, who has 2.5k chips, calls. flop is A,4,8 w/2 of my suit. he checks, i continuation bet 1/2pot, he check raises allin. why in the hell did i call on a flush draw?

- 5 handed, blinds 75/150. i'm #2 stack with 3k as BB=ako. big stack has 4k, is a horrible player and is sb. folded to him, and he pushes. even though he's horrible, why in the hell did I call 20bb? i'm risking my tourny life on probably either a 60/40 my favor or the wrong side of a coin flip?! (he had 78s and gets s flush)

sigh...

yeah, these are all calls. but there were also times where i'm reraising all in at stupid spots. and i knew in my head it was stupid, but my arm had different ideas.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm running bad today, and you know what? Its NOT variance. I've been making quite a few poor decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more and more that I run bad, the more and more often that I realize that it is usually do to bad play. Realizing that you are playing poorly is commendable.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The more and more that I run bad, the more and more often that I realize that it is usually do to bad play. Realizing that you are playing poorly is commendable.

[/ QUOTE ]

and very +ev.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:53 AM

I folded AA pf HU in one last night. Does that count? It was a misclick obviously.. I still went on to win which was a good thing as I'd have felt a total muppet otherwise