Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Jeff Feagles to set consecutive games record Sunday

NYT article on it

Jeff Feagles is going to break Jim Marshall’s record for consecutive games played this Sunday with 283. There are some haters, though!

[ QUOTE ]
Some people have suggested that an asterisk be attached to his record because punters are in on only a handful of plays a game. The same thing should be done, they claim, if a designated hitter were to break Ripken's record.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an asinine idea! Yeah, it’s a lot easier to break the record as a punter. Yeah, it’s more impressive that Jim Marshall set the record as a defensive lineman in the 60s and 70s. So what? It’s not the record book’s job to determine what was more impressive, only what happened. Now, if they want to educate the masses explaining why it’s much more impressive, go ahead, but The Asterisk only gets pulled out when somebody “less deserving” breaks some old fart’s record, but nobody ever looks at the old records to see why they weren’t so impressive.

Quick! Who holds the MLB Record of doubles in a season? Given that the home run record’s been broken twice in the past decade, you’d think it’d be someone recent, right? Maybe Todd Helton; he plays in Coors and hits a lot of doubles. However, he’s seventh, and all six guys in front of him played hit sixty doubles in a season within ten years of each other. Yet, you won’t see an asterisk next to Earl Webb’s name because he hit his doubles in the most conducive era for it, would you?

Every record has to be placed in its proper context. Put in context, most of them seem less impressive than they originally would. Peyton Manning’s touchdown record was set in the greatest offensive seasons of all time, with the stricter illegal contact penalties in place. Does this make his accomplishment of 49 touchdowns less impressive? Of course. Should he get an asterisk for it, and Dan Marino be recognized as the “legit” TD King? Of course not, that’s ridiculous. Should we do everything we can to place each respective season in their proper context? Yes, yes, very much so. Maybe after placing them in their proper context, we’ll come to the conclusion that Marino’s was more impressive. What does it matter? Manning got his 49 touchdowns and is at the top of the list.

Why’s it so different for anything else? An asterisk is a malicious attack at something seen as illegitimate, all too often used by people championing the good old days. Yet, according to the rules of the game, if a player attained a record, he should be listed at the top of the books without an asterisk. Now, if you want to rant and rave about how he didn’t “earn” the record, that’s fine. Jeff Feagles will go into the record books as the Iron Man of football. In all likelihood, Jim Marshall will be listed right below him, with his 282 games. Not only that, plenty of people will do their best to place the record in their proper context and educate the world about the incredible feats both of them accomplished. If someone wants to take up the torch about how Jim Marshall is the true NFL Iron Man, give the topic what it deserves. Do your best to educate, not discredit.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Jeff Feagles to set consecutive games record Sunday

Nice rant sir. You should mention some sort of exception for cheating, but you're right about it.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yet, according to the rules of the game, if a player attained a record, he should be listed at the top of the books without an asterisk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NYT article on it

Jeff Feagles is going to break Jim Marshall’s record for consecutive games played this Sunday with 283. There are some haters, though!

[ QUOTE ]
Some people have suggested that an asterisk be attached to his record because punters are in on only a handful of plays a game. The same thing should be done, they claim, if a designated hitter were to break Ripken's record.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an asinine idea! Yeah, it’s a lot easier to break the record as a punter. Yeah, it’s more impressive that Jim Marshall set the record as a defensive lineman in the 60s and 70s. So what? It’s not the record book’s job to determine what was more impressive, only what happened. Now, if they want to educate the masses explaining why it’s much more impressive, go ahead, but The Asterisk only gets pulled out when somebody “less deserving” breaks some old fart’s record, but nobody ever looks at the old records to see why they weren’t so impressive.

Quick! Who holds the MLB Record of doubles in a season? Given that the home run record’s been broken twice in the past decade, you’d think it’d be someone recent, right? Maybe Todd Helton; he plays in Coors and hits a lot of doubles. However, he’s seventh, and all six guys in front of him played hit sixty doubles in a season within ten years of each other. Yet, you won’t see an asterisk next to Earl Webb’s name because he hit his doubles in the most conducive era for it, would you?

Every record has to be placed in its proper context. Put in context, most of them seem less impressive than they originally would. Peyton Manning’s touchdown record was set in the greatest offensive seasons of all time, with the stricter illegal contact penalties in place. Does this make his accomplishment of 49 touchdowns less impressive? Of course. Should he get an asterisk for it, and Dan Marino be recognized as the “legit” TD King? Of course not, that’s ridiculous. Should we do everything we can to place each respective season in their proper context? Yes, yes, very much so. Maybe after placing them in their proper context, we’ll come to the conclusion that Marino’s was more impressive. What does it matter? Manning got his 49 touchdowns and is at the top of the list.

Why’s it so different for anything else? An asterisk is a malicious attack at something seen as illegitimate, all too often used by people championing the good old days. Yet, according to the rules of the game, if a player attained a record, he should be listed at the top of the books without an asterisk. Now, if you want to rant and rave about how he didn’t “earn” the record, that’s fine. Jeff Feagles will go into the record books as the Iron Man of football. In all likelihood, Jim Marshall will be listed right below him, with his 282 games. Not only that, plenty of people will do their best to place the record in their proper context and educate the world about the incredible feats both of them accomplished. If someone wants to take up the torch about how Jim Marshall is the true NFL Iron Man, give the topic what it deserves. Do your best to educate, not discredit.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't have said it better myself. nice.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:38 AM

As far as I can tell, Jeff Feagles is one of five players currently in the NFL that appeared in 1991's Tecmo Super Bowl. Here's the list:

QB Vinny Testaverde
WR Ricky Proehl
CB Deion Sanders
K John Carney
P Jeff Feagles

In addition, Jeff George is still hanging around and would listen if the Vikings called.

There's no one left from the original Tecmo Bowl, as Jerry Rice was the Last Man Standing™ in that regard.

Onto Tecmo Super Bowl. Wow, is there a more overrated game? Sure, it's a fun little arcade game with surprising depth for an 8-bit system, but Jesus. Tecmo Super Bowl had some nice ideas like season mode and a pro bowl, but the game itself was a bit of a mess. The AI is worse than online players when it comes to cheesing. Seriously, people complain about the speed cheats on All-Madden? It's impossible to do anything in a TSB punt because everyone on the kicking team suddenly has 99 speed - nevermind trying to tackle Bo Jackson late in the season.

Who decided it'd be a good idea to only let you control one defensive player for a play? Who decided that a split second is the difference between a touchback and an onside kick, instead of the much more intuitive modern power meter? Who thought that 8 plays were enough? (And, in that vein, who thought it was a good idea to give every team about 6 formations for those 8 plays, telegraphing nearly everyone of them?) Who decided powering up Bo Jackson and Randall Cunningham to half-man, half-god, half-possible-centaur status made for great gaming? Everybody knows only Tedy Bruschi fits that description.

The game has so many problem that when I'm playing it, I start thinking about how fun it would be the play a REAL football game, like NCAA '06 or something. You know, a game where I can audible, use motion that works, run hundreds of plays, call my own defense, switch defenders, split a cover 2 defense with a perfect pass, perform jukes and spin moves (and NOT just run diagonally), and, if I'm so inclined, actually play more than one season.

All that said, it's still the best game of all time. What? I never said I didn't overrate it, too!

By the way, if you want to play TSB on your computer with updated rosters, go to
Tecmo Super Bowl Heaven and follow the instructions!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:04 PM

What heresy. First of all, I have returned punts for TDs. Second, the touchback - onsides kick distinction is perfect, in terms of risk/reward.

Also, moving diagonally isn't the only move. You can run backwards and gain yardage sometimes by skillful moves.

Is Morten Andersen permnantely retired, or will someone dig him up yet again? He's in a 1985 version of the game I have, and probably in the original Tecmo Bowl. Also, one of the modern versions I have eliminates most of the bad play formations, making it much more difficult to stop the computer late in the season.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 PM

Bump, he just set it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell, Jeff Feagles is one of five players currently in the NFL that appeared in 1991's Tecmo Super Bowl. Here's the list:

QB Vinny Testaverde
WR Ricky Proehl
CB Deion Sanders
K John Carney
P Jeff Feagles

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought QB Bills was JP Loosman.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

QB Vinny Testaverde
WR Ricky Proehl
CB Deion Sanders
K John Carney
P Jeff Feagles

In addition, Jeff George is still hanging around and would listen if the Vikings called.

There's no one left from the original Tecmo Bowl, as Jerry Rice was the Last Man Standing™ in that regard.

Onto Tecmo Super Bowl. Wow, is there a more overrated game? Sure, it's a fun little arcade game with surprising depth for an 8-bit system, but Jesus. Tecmo Super Bowl had some nice ideas like season mode and a pro bowl, but the game itself was a bit of a mess. The AI is worse than online players when it comes to cheesing. Seriously, people complain about the speed cheats on All-Madden? It's impossible to do anything in a TSB punt because everyone on the kicking team suddenly has 99 speed - nevermind trying to tackle Bo Jackson late in the season.

Who decided it'd be a good idea to only let you control one defensive player for a play? Who decided that a split second is the difference between a touchback and an onside kick, instead of the much more intuitive modern power meter? Who thought that 8 plays were enough? (And, in that vein, who thought it was a good idea to give every team about 6 formations for those 8 plays, telegraphing nearly everyone of them?) Who decided powering up Bo Jackson and Randall Cunningham to half-man, half-god, half-possible-centaur status made for great gaming? Everybody knows only Tedy Bruschi fits that description.

The game has so many problem that when I'm playing it, I start thinking about how fun it would be the play a REAL football game, like NCAA '06 or something. You know, a game where I can audible, use motion that works, run hundreds of plays, call my own defense, switch defenders, split a cover 2 defense with a perfect pass, perform jukes and spin moves (and NOT just run diagonally), and, if I'm so inclined, actually play more than one season.

All that said, it's still the best game of all time. What? I never said I didn't overrate it, too!

By the way, if you want to play TSB on your computer with updated rosters, go to
Tecmo Super Bowl Heaven and follow the instructions!

[/ QUOTE ]

another nice rant, and thanks for that link
Old 11-27-2005, 09:36 PM

He set it with some style didn't he.

He may end up beating it by one eh?