Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-18-2005, 03:37 AM

Default The Secret to Happiness...

What is the secret to happiness? Is happiness something that we should strive for? Should happiness be the ultimate goal in life? or is happiness a social construct? Are we wrong to be seeking happiness?
If you could take a pill that would make you happy forever (no side effects) would you take it?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: The Secret to Happiness...

If you define it in a way that's close to "exhilaration", ie. a momentary "up" feeling, then I'd say it's pointless to chase after such a thing because we are made to have downs to compensate for the ups and in the end it's a wash. Maybe you could maximize overall "up"-ness by taking the downs first. For example, doing exercise is not pleasant while you're doing it but pleasurable afterwards, and that's an overall up. Drugs, alcohol, and overeating are all ups firsts, downs later, and overall downs. Even good sex requires a lot of "work" first (ie. courtship, foreplay, etc.). The easy methods (hookers, masturbation, etc.) are never as good.

But if you define hapiness more like "overall contentness" which doesn't manifest itself in constant smiley faces but rather a sort of internal balance and peace, then yes I think it's both achievable and worth striving for.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:58 AM

Plato argued against the prevailing Stoic view that happiness (rather than pleasure) was the aim of humanity. After all, when you scratch an itch, it's pleasurable - but is scratching an itch for eternity an example of a fullfilled existence?

Personally, I do seek happiness as an end goal. But there is a method that must be progressed through, and I aim to be happy in that period as well. But aims/goals/methods imply effort, and the sense of an action achieved may indicate happiness. So a "happy pill" is not something I'd personally take, because it makes things too easy. I like doing things the hard way - which probably explains why I'm bankroll building on $1 STTs at the moment.

In short, to be happy, do what YOU want to do, what you think is right (either morally or rationally).

As to whether happiness is a social construct, since I'm coming from something of an individualistic/subjective/rational perspective, I'd argue not, but rather a subjective sense of achievement. But there is an arguement that happiness might be seen in a more objective sense. Ach, don't worry, be happy...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:00 AM

*hands you blotter acid*

Take two and call me in the morning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you could take a pill that would make you happy forever (no side effects) would you take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good to me.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM

If you were never unhappy, how would you know you were happy?

"Is there no change of death in paradise
Does ripe fruit never fall..."

From 'Sunday Morning' by Wallace Stevens
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM

I did give him LSD, remember? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the secret to happiness? Is happiness something that we should strive for? Should happiness be the ultimate goal in life? or is happiness a social construct? Are we wrong to be seeking happiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Happiness is a mechanism whereby inbuilt software motivates you to achieve certain aims; Kind of a carrot to get you to do what your psyche ‘thinks is best for you’.

It works relatively well. Using drugs to completely mess up this process is unlikely to be beneficial.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happiness is a mechanism whereby inbuilt software motivates you to achieve certain aims; Kind of a carrot to get you to do what your psyche ‘thinks is best for you’.

It works relatively well. Using drugs to completely mess up this process is unlikely to be beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beneficial towards what?... You are speaking from a gene's point of view...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beneficial towards what?...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say most conceivable definitions of beneficial, although not all.

I heard of someone once who wanted to infect himself with leprosy so it would not hurt when he stubbed his toe.