Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Default I am with you on this

I wrote a post a long time back suggesting that instead of going to war we would provide a safer environment for us and for the Iraqi by inviting Saddam to the White House for bourbon and barbecue and building a lasting trade relationship with Iraq.

Bilateral trade relations, I suggest we pursue that route with Iran and Syria now.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Iraq : The Logic Of Disengagement

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about just putting Saddam back in power. I'm all for it at this point (not joking).

He is secular, he can maintain order and prevent civil war, and as an added bonus we can claim that we left the country exactely as we found it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I was thinking (I'm not joking either). Things were so much better for us and the Iraqis when Saddam was in power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely, you guys are joking.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:33 PM

Not really. It seems like the most sensible solution.

If we really shouldn't be there why don't we just set things the way they were before we showed up.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 AM

Yikes! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 AM

Why not, what's your solution. Install Shah Sistani.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Addendum : Nationalism

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you read a book about Napoleons life and deeds rather than belief how some people have interperated Nostradamus.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I will read a book about Napoleons [sic] life and deeds rather than belief how some people have interperated [sic] Nostradamus. I will report back once I have read a book about Napoleons [sic] life and deeds rather than belief how some people have interperated [sic] Nostradamus.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 AM

No. I don't have "The Solution". I think "put Saddam back in power" is a worse idea than just packing up and leaving. I had respect for you before. If you're seriously not joking, you've lost that respect.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 AM

It doesn't seem like a worse idea then just leaving. What will result from our just leaving is probably worse then what will result from putting Saddam back. Clearly the country is worse off now then before the war, so why not just set everything back where it was.

We couldn't even be blamed for what he might do, as we are simply admitting our error in deposing him in the first place. We are doing what everyone wished we did from the very beginning. If some new dictator springs up they would blame his actions on our war, this way we can just say that we set everything the way it was.

In a perserve irony, I think the Iraqis deserve Saddam after all this. If they really preferred the way thigns were then let them get what they want.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a perserve irony, I think the Iraqis deserve Saddam after all this. If they really preferred the way thigns were then let them get what they want

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not perverse irony. It is the essence of human nature. First resist outside influences and second only when they are really sick of a system will they come up with a system that they can live with.

This was predictable and predicted.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the country is worse off now then before the war, so why not just set everything back where it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can pretty much say this about any country post-war. You think Berlin and Tokyo were happy, wonderful places after WWII? That's the reason we're staying, to help the Iraqis get back on their feet. Leaving and putting Saddam back in power would not be leaving it as we found it because we wrecked several parts of it and have a responsibility to fix it (or help fix it).

[ QUOTE ]
We couldn't even be blamed for what he might do, as we are simply admitting our error in deposing him in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about that for a moment. If we put Saddam back into power, we would most assuredly be signing the death warrants of many of those participating in their government now. If the police caught a known serial killer and then just released him, would you also claim that the police couldn't be blamed for any more killing that killer did?

[ QUOTE ]
In a perserve irony, I think the Iraqis deserve Saddam after all this. If they really preferred the way thigns were then let them get what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we all know that everyone in Iraq wants Saddam back...

Honestly this is one of the worst Iraq ideas I've heard. I still have a hard time believing you're serious.